The Ultra-Newbies "What do I do NOW???!?!" Beginners Guide:

Creator Post Date
StormWolfKymarah So, ya registered, and have now found yerself plopped right smack-dab in the middle of the most conflustering game you've ever seen, and the FAQ's thingy looks more like Wall-O-Text, and yer afraid yer eyes may stick in that crossed position for weeks now...

Not to worry, dear Newblet. Help as arrived. Or Complete and Utter Confusion, depending on who ya ask 'round here...

Ok, first...some basics, like terms and stuff we use here:

*First off...this is a "text-based" game. You can't "go c ur dood fite", or customize an avatar. Your profile offers a spot to add an image, and you can code in other images. More on that later, and theres a really good guide for codes and such in the Help Forum.
*You can't join a Crew til yer 24 hours old. And, it's by Crew Invite only...meanin'...you can't just go staple a "Hey, lemme in, pweeeze?!?" flier on their front door...Ya actually gotta get to know peeps, and use yer networking skilz to get into a Crew. Dun worry though...ya dun NEED a Crew til ya hit Rank 7, and wanna progress to 8.
*Yup, no "Experience Bar". Ranking is a bit of a mystery here in the Realm. It's intended to be. So, no whinin' about how "lame" that is. The Elders have a reason for it, and its part of the game play.
*This is a game of patience. There is no "Best Players in the Realm" leaderboard. There are only 20 Ranks, and they are meant to be progressively harder to achieve. And no, you can't "buy your way to the top", either.
*Role Playing is a major factor in The Realm. You don't have to role play, just as you dun have to do the clicky-stuff like searches and crimes and such. It's all up to you how you want to run your character.

IC= In Character. Done from your Characters perspective. Stuff like mails and forum posts made in RP threads are done "IC", unless specified as "OOC".
OOC= Out Of Character. What you, the player, write, from your own perspective.
The Realm= What we call this world.
RP= Role Play. What your character does...interacting with, and talking to, other characters, etc.

What to do first ingame:
*Vote. This will get you some much-needed Blood Money.
*Play around with the upper menu. The ones with lil "down" arrows have a drop down menu, as well as the top option.
*Go to the City Life menu link, then in the drop-down, click on Forbidden City. Pay the tribute. You get one (or 2 for a Donator) per day. When you have 100 or more, pay the cash to go up to the Forbidden City and search. Good stuff up there. But, no worries for now...it'll take ya a few weeks to get 100+ searches.
*Go to City Life, then City Search. Ok, this part is a bit more difficult, and since ya dun even have gear yet, the Encounters are pretty much gonna make paste of ya fer a bit. Not to worry...even losses add to your stats. Dun run from the Lil Snot...erm, I mean, Little Girl. Yeah, she's gonna stomp the bejezzus outta ya. Just go to the clinic and pay a couple Blood Money bucks to heal, and get out there again. However, when you find a Standard Shield and/or Basic Sword, you'll want to get those bad boys equipped ASAP. To do that, go to Profile, and click the Main Profile menu link. Once there, you will find 4 tabs: "Character Profile", "Item Inventory", "Blog Management", "Account Info", and "Donations". Yup...you want "Item Inventory". This is where yer gonna equip stuff.
*Ok, so...ya got all'a yer searches done, and now yer limpin' around, wonderin' how such a cute lil kid could whoop yer buhonkus so soundly. Well...stop ponderin'. Tis just "one'a them things" here. Get used t' it...she does that a lot. Now what? Well...

*Crimes, steals and attacks: Yup...yer gonna fail at these at first. A LOT. But like I said afore, even failures add to yer stats behind the scenes. Just keep swimmin'...hmmm...did you just see a singing blue fish swim by?

*Shakes head and continues*

Ok, so...yer just about fed up to -here- with landin' yer sorry buhonkus in the slammer every 3 minutes, and the first person ya attacked added more bruises to yer already black and blue-ness, so NOW what? Ah, time to check out the forums, and mebbeh even find a nice thread to RP in. But wait...yer new to role-playing? Never fear...we all were at some point. Just head over to the "Help & Links" drop down, and check out the Role Playing F.A.Q.'s. I dun think I can put it any easier here, sorry.

One itty bitty point about mails. While they are an excellent way to get to know yer fellow Realm citizens, and starting an IC RP, I'd personally recommend not starting an opening IC "scene" that puts the recipient of your well-intentioned mail anywhere. It's a common complaint around here that someone opens a mail, and suddenly finds they've been transported to the park, laundromat, yogurt shop, dark alley, live taping of Barney, etc...and it can tend to make some people a bit...cranky. This is a delicate conundrum however, as you have to "meet" them somehow. This is where profiles can often offer helpful clues. If in doubt, just read the forums for a bit, and get to know the various people here in the Realm.

Well...that should get ya started, and it's by no means a complete guide...just a lil somethin' to get ya on yer way.

Peace, love an' rocketfuel,
Stormy

((Disclaimer: Author not responsible for lost luggage, missing body parts, malfunctioning gear, acts of Nature or the Deity of your choosing, or failure to perform. Some restrictions apply. Not valid on days ending in "y". May contain nuts.))
April 19, 2011 20:11
Fleta

aww help me stormy-won kenobi, you're my only hope!

Nice of you to help the new people out.  I'm sure they'll be grateful to you, even if they never tell you.

Don't forget to mention to people that you don't magically get into their home or know them without agreement. Some people like to send mails that basically put them with you talking like you know them for some reason. I've seen people get more than a little hurt doing this. We need to think of the poor new people, save them from people chewing on them literally and metaphorically.

Plus one more point of my own. This isn't a game to race your way up ranks and get out "ahead." People roleplay and do far more than play "rcae you to the top," so people shouldn't get frustrated or upset they don't rank fast here. Enjoy the pace and conversations you can have. Some people in this realm are excellent writers and I've been honoured to write with them at times.

April 20, 2011 00:21
StormWolfKymarah

*Waves hand in a vague sweeping motion*

This is not the forum you were looking for...

*Hangs head in shame and holds out my Nerd Card*

I know, I know...lame.

But, yeah...good point about the Home Invasion thing. I think its safe to assume that everyone knows about garlic and semi-automatic rifles that fire hollow bullets filled with Holy Water. And I dunno 'bout you, but my luck? I'd waltz right into the only living room in the entire Realm belonging to a chihuahua affecionado. 

*Shudders at the thought of all those ankle-biters*

And yup...this isn't a "I can beat everyone in a week" kinda game. It's more about a rounded character development, and staying the course...

April 20, 2011 01:04
Fleta

*grins and offers up her nerdy dork girl card* Guilty too. It's ok, I've heard worse

*nods* I think people all know some home owners are a lot more.. grissly than others. I don't want new people trying really hard to be socialble and accidentally getting chewed up and spit out by walking into the wrong home *hides her ninja chi wowows* 

I think the best way to be in game is to go slow and work it up, sure we all hit those spots where we'd sell our family recipe for good booze or a crew member  to get to the next level. But I've seen, like was all have, folks who come here and in less than a month they get upset they're not rank 8 or something. It's a game based on roleplaying and interactions. It's not click and win.

April 20, 2011 01:21
Killian

I'm gonna put this here to save it fcfrom auto delete

May 13, 2011 13:18
StormWolfKymarah

Thankies, Killian...

I was gonna add another chapter to this, but I'm not really sure what Newbies struggle with nowdays....so if ya have any topic suggestions or questions, I guess here'd be a good a place as any to put 'em...

June 07, 2011 22:57
Killian

I do have a few ideas which I'll throw over once I got caffeine...

Or idea, split into a few sections

June 09, 2011 04:50
Jason Nightshade

Um..I can't seem to find this anywhere. How does one add friends?

June 13, 2011 01:40
StormWolfKymarah What...the Friend Fairy hasn't given you your friends yet? Geesh...she's prolly drunk off her buhonkus, passed out in some alley. Again...

Ok...actually, see the top bar menu? See where it says Profile, and theres a lil down arrow next to it that will drop down a menu? Ignore the drop downs. Click on Profile, right there on the menu bar. You'll be taken to the inner workings of yer Profile. At the top of the profile area will be a few tabs...Inventory is where you go to equip your gear, Donations is where you go to activate Donator Packs, etc. Scroll down to Where it says Friends (Add / Remove), and click on the "Add" part. You'll need to know the name of the person yer adding...I recommend simply going to their public profile and copypastaing to avoid misspellings and such. Anyhow...pasta their name into the field, click "Add", then wait for them to approve. There ya go.
June 13, 2011 02:49
StormWolfKymarah Ok...so, yer still here? Kewl. The chaos and confuzzlement hasn't chased ya off, but yer still pretty lost, right?

The next problem most new players experience is that of the actual Role Play environment here. Here's where things can get a bit tetchy. Everyone has their own way of writing...their own style. And everyone has opinions on how everyone else should write.

First person: Writing from your characters perspective. Uses "I" and "me/my" when refering to your characters actions..."I looked at the bloody sword in my hand..."

Third person: Writing as if you, the player, are observing and recording your characters actions and thoughts..."She looked at the bloody sword in her hand...".

There is also a variation to the "Third Person", popularized in old-skool chatroom RPs, that uses what some people consider an awkward phrasing, but others insist is "proper" RP form. I'm not sure what it's called, but it involves using the words "would", "as if to", and such...goes a bit like this:

"He raised his arm as if he would block the other mans punch..."
Or
"She would hold out her hand as if to take the childs hand..."

I personally find this style too "clunky" and unnatural, choosing instead to write in "first person" for Stormy, "third person" for Ro and Marah, and "first person plural" when Stormy and Ro are "melded" together...which is much like using the Royal "We", but is two separate entities blended into a unique third. I dun use that much, mainly due to the sheer confusion it tends to cause.

However, some people prefer the more formal RP style, so use whatever yer most comfy with. You'll find that RPing tends to be much easier if yer using something that feels more natural to you, no matter what style it might be.

Ok...now for some "meat and bones" of RPing. Once you've decided a style, theres a few things ya need to bear in mind. A good reply should include a couple of things:

For yer first post in a thread, it's usually a good idear to describe a bit about yer character...not so much how he or she looks...since that should be in yer profile...but what they're wearing, and any other details you feel the readers of the thread should know...like hair style change, new tat, the mole on yer chin that sprouted over night, etc. Unless something changes in yer characters appearance or wardrobe during the progression of the thread, it's not necessary to repeat such details in following posts.

The next thing that you should bear in mind is that there are certain things that should be in nearly every post you make. Yer posts should give the next person enough to run with, and should include a bit of description of what your character sees, is doing and thinking, etc. A sentence or two is fine. Dialogue, when appropriate, is also a really good idear, but seriously, NO ONE-LINERS!!

*Having entered the smoky bar, I made my way to the bar, looking for an empty stool. The clientele was the usual: roughs, toughs and barflies, but I was here to meet a contact. After ordering a drink, I casually turn on my stool, my Timetracers cutting through the smoky haze, looking for the tell-tale organic 'Tracers of the carnation my contact said he'd be wearing in his lapel. Oh, yeah, like that wouldn't look out of place in a dive like this. Catching the flash of yellow-pink that indicated the flower in question, tucked in the back corner table, I pay for my drink and leave my barstool, moving casually to the back of the place, as I was going to play the jukebox near his table.*

"Hey, whats a well dressed stiff like you doin' in a place like this?"

*I ask him without taking my attention from the display of the jukebox. Of course, the ink on the paper under the glass display was so old I couldn't begin to read the faded organics in the ink, but I didn't need to. I'd memorized the song list long ago. Besides, I wasn't here for the music. Picking a song at random, I drop my coin in, and then turn to the man at the corner table.*

Ok...in the above example, we have pretty much all the basics of a good intro post...your characters actions, impressions of the scene around you, a bit of your characters thoughts, and some opening dialogue. Also, note the "*'s" to indicate "action", as upposed to your characters dialogue. You can use any sort of symbol you like...I've seen various indicators, such as ~, -, ~*, =, +, }{ (for fairy or angel wings, I think?) and )0( (presumably for the threefold goddess or the Wiccan symbol). Be creative if you want, or just do what most of us do, and use the asterik (*) symbol to separate out your actions from your words. Some people don't use any action separators, but are careful to then use quotation marks for dialogue. This makes it easy for readers to know whats action, and whats words. And, for the love of donuts, use your words...no ch4t5p34k...and capitalize the personal "I". Oh...and, pleasepleaseplease...ya know those funny things that look like dots and go at the end of sentences?? USE THEM!! Comma's are real good, too. In fact, all punctuation is really appreciated...things like question marks, and even ellipses (The 3-dot thingies I'm rather fond of).

Ok...thats the posting part. Now on to a few other important pointers.

First, unless a persons thoughts are clearly said "out loud", your character cannot know their thoughts. Don't assume, and do not...nevernevernever...unless you have prior permission, EVER "bunny" someone elses character. Another big no-no is a new character who has superubergodmod moves. Uh, no. We here in the Realm give great respect to the Rank system, because this -is- an integrated Realm. If a character is of higher rank than you, chances are, they will beat yer buhonkus from one end of the bar/arena/shopping mall to the other, and not break a sweat. You CANNOT win (unless you've made prior plot arrangements, of course.). Now, a bit of an exception to this would be, if their character is your rank or even lower, but they're older, they -might- actually have higher stats than your character. In that case, you could actually use a method I've used in the past: Attack them 3 times...best of 3 is the better fighter.

Bunnying: Moving or causing anothers character to be moved. "I shoved him hard on the chest, making him fall down. Standing over him, I pour thousands of volts of electricity through his body...". See that? BIG GIANT no-no. Never, ever, EVER, cause another persons character to act. You must always give them a way to counter-move. "I shoved him hard on the chest, as if to push him down, while drawing in electricity to zap him with...". See how that leaves the other character open to counter-move, while still letting them know what I intend? They can either go with it, or evade the shove.

Another important thing here in the Realm is the respect due to the Crew Leadership. Ya know those guys and gals who's names are in gold? Yeah...those are Sanctuary and Coven Leaders. Diss them, and you just might find yer name listed in the Bounty Office. They've worked hard here in the Realm, and have earned the respect. Of course, the Leadership also includes their Confidantes (Crew Second in Command), but since there's no real way of knowing who they are unless they clearly state it in their own profiles, or you happen to be IN their Crew, it's understood that some accidents may happen. The lesson here is...be respectful of everyone, 'cause ya never really know who might be in a position to make your stay here brief, or be close to someone who can.

Ok, if yer now afraid to even sneeze funny, dun be. All I'm talking about here is common sense, and giving those who've worked hard and earned it, the respect they are due. When you've been here as long as some of us have been, you too will have earned respect, just as all of us before you have had to do. As to RPing ...its a practiced art, not one ya just..."have". ALL of us had to start out as newbs, and had to work on refining our RP style.
June 17, 2011 03:46
Killian

Holy wall of text Stormy, I think this ought to be mandatory reading for everyone....AND I MEANS EVERYONE! It's a wall o'text ya, but...it's amazing...Can I copies it and credit you in a blog please?

Okays, now for the respect thing, I'd go so far as to say be nice to anyone in a crew, heck, anyone in general AGAIN, no dissing people for having a funny name, and no OOC dissing, as that is bad, got it?

Always, ALWAYS, save your work in Notepad too, timely hint

June 20, 2011 02:30
StormWolfKymarah

Sorry 'bout Teh Wall-O-Text...

And go for it...if it helps more Newblet's get to know their way around, it's all good.

My next post will be a checklist...well, 2 checklists really. The first being the "What to do right after registering and logging in", and the other will be a checklist of what to do on a daily basis. Hopefully that will help new players get a bit more organized, and not forget important stuff that can be totally forgotten when ya first start out.

As always, anyone who has questions, ask here. Ideas for what should be included in upcoming posts, shoot me a PM...that way we can keep the posts here less cluttered and stick to the subject. *Gasp!* Us, stay on subject?!? I know, right??

June 21, 2011 22:57
Warren Michaels

seems easy enough. Thanks for the help here.

June 22, 2011 20:00
Killian

Daily checklist ought to help everyone though.....I know I can't ever stick to mine at all....I'll throw my ideas over

June 23, 2011 06:00
StormWolfKymarah Ok...short-n-sweet...a couple lil checklists to keep ya truckin':

To do first thing when ya start playing:
Vote
Searches
Equip any gear found
Buy a Familiar and a Minion ASAP
Work on Bio
Read the forums
Use your Forbidden City Tributes

Dailies:
Vote
Daily Tributes in Forbidden City
Searches
Minion Battles
1 attack
4 theft attempts or 1 theft success
5 crimes
Dungeon Breaks when possible

A quick word about the Tributes: You get 1 a day, or 2 for Donators. Use them daily, or lose them. Just pay the tribute, and you will receive 2-9 Forbidden City Searches. Wait until you have accumulated about 100 or so Searches before paying the fee to be ferried to the Forbidden City to Search. Some people mistakenly think they have to Search every day. Nope, just gotta pay the Tributes every day, or ya lose them for that day is all.

Also, remember: This Realm has a culture, and a social structure...which includes paying proper respect to Leaders and those who have been in the Realm longer than yourself. In other words, a 3 week old rank 3 or 4 really has no place or business telling a rank 12 or 13 or a Leader what to do or how to do it.

And, as always, never be afraid to ask questions.
June 23, 2011 07:23
Killian

Printing those out pronto

Looks good here Stormy, looks great in fact

June 23, 2011 07:25
StormWolfKymarah Oh...just saw this in another thread a couple down. Dunno who put it together, but it wasn't me. Watch and learn, chilluns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOavFVlpaM
June 23, 2011 07:42
Warren Michaels

Sounds good thanks.

June 24, 2011 23:55
Killian

Monthly bump to make sure it won't get lost or eaten.

July 13, 2011 10:51
Dayton Raylene

I'm so new and this completely helped!

Thank you :)

July 14, 2011 01:17
StormWolfKymarah

Yer welcome. Glad it helped. Feel free to shoot me a mail if ya get confused or stuck on somethin'...

July 14, 2011 13:33
Killian

Monthly bump and stuffs. Now I got a suggestion for you Stormy too while I remember it.

For the newbies who read this...There are a few people who WILL help new people, ask around. You aren't alone. Remember this. Out of character, you can approach anyone for help, the chances are they will offer some help or advice.

August 05, 2011 12:14
StormWolfKymarah

Killian...ya stop to think...and ferget to start again?? *Waits for the suggestion...*

And while we're waitin' on Killian to remember what he forgotted to mention last time...

Anybody have any newbie related questions or tips they'd like to see addressed here next?

And, as always...dun hesitate to shoot me a mail if ya need help right away-ish. I dun bite. Too hard. And I've had my rabies shots recently...I promise.

August 23, 2011 16:01
Taerys

Hi Folks :)

Firstly, sorry if this is totally in the wrong place, I'm still getting my barings. Secondly, thanks for the above - very helpful!

Ok, my question - is there any sort of "face claim" procedure for profile pics/character descriptions? I know some RP sites have their players choose actors/musicians/models for their characters and then there's a thread detailing who's claimed who, so was just wondering if there's anything like that here or it's more of a free for all.

Thanks!

August 25, 2011 16:34
StormWolfKymarah

Good question, actually. But, no...there's no official "Dibs system" on profile images. I think there are currently a handful of Sarah Michelle Gellers running around a'la Buffy, and I've seen several of the same anime character as well.

That's not to say those who use such images here first dun sometimes feel a bit *coughREALLYcough* proprietary of "their" character image. I suggest ya NOT use Amy Lee from Evanescence...

The more "popular" the public figure though, the more likely you'll be sharing the images with another player. Same goes for deviantArt-type images...the closer to Page 1 on the subject search, the more likely others have already found the image too.

So, yeah...it's a "free for all"...if anyone gives ya guff about using "their" image, well...eh...they're bluffing if they say ya can't use it too. But, I'd rather be unique, so I'd prolly change if an older player has already laid "claim" to a particular face.

August 26, 2011 04:11
BlackRose of the Fallen

One question that I would like answered for us NOOBs, (and I would rather not figure this out the hard way): how long must you be inactive in order to become a victim of the "Red Death"?

August 26, 2011 12:35
StormWolfKymarah

There used to be a handy-dandy chart floating around...still might be too, but I can't seem to find it right offhand...

But, up to Rank 7, you go "Red Death" after 7 days of inactivity. So, log in at least once a week and yer good to go...

August 26, 2011 14:34
BlackRose of the Fallen

Gotcha. Thank you. ^-^

August 26, 2011 15:08
StormWolfKymarah Ok, so...now that we're moving along in trying to solve the problem of New Crew Creation, I think now would be a really good time to address the issue of why it's so hard for newbies to get into already existing Crews.

From a newbies perspective, yes...it's frustrating. You have most likely come from a game where gangs/crews/alliances are easy to get into. But, then again, a lot of other games with crews do have level/skill/age requirements as well. Crews want the best fighters in case of wars, bottom line.

Another consideration is that a Leader has to decide who will fit into their "family" well. You may have a really good character...you may be really friendly...but if you clash with other members, or for some other (sometimes innocent) reason, you just don't "fit in", it's just not going to work. Crews need to run like "family".

This is a text-based game that runs heavily on the Role Play aspect. As such, it is not unreasonable for a Leader to expect SOME level of RP'ing from prospective members. It's also not unreasonable for Leaders to expect that you be active in their Crew. Dead weight is just that...dead weight. You want to just sit around and RP and mail all day? Then, why did you even want to join a crew in the first place? To sit around and hang out in the crew forums?

You want to be heard and understood...you want us Old Guard to listen to your frustrations and start taking you into our Crews? Well, it works both ways. Crew Leaders want the best. This is a war game. We understand everyone starts at the bottom, but we also expect you to work a little bit and not be a liability to the rest of the Crew if war breaks out. If you aren't willing to even put out a smidgen of effort in your contact mails to your prospective Leader, why should they consider you? If you are "blanket" searching for a crew, you've already earned 1 strike. Now, I must note here for the current Leaders: This is usually common accepted practice in most other games, and well...there's nothing anywhere here in the Realm that would clue in a new player that we frown on that here. Ok, back to what I was saying. You, the prospective new crew member, have to "sell" yourself. This is just like a Job interview. You have the burden of proving why the crew you are seeking entrance to just cannot operate without you.

Seems like too much work? Well...I'm sorry, but...it is work. You want an "easy button" and a free pass into someone's crew? Why? I'm not being snide here. You need to ask yourself this question. "Why do I want into this crew?". Different people will have different answers to that...there is no "right" one. But, you do need to think about it.

The next thing you need to understand is this: Leaders are busy. They have these thing called Real Lives. DO NOT get pissy if you send them a mail, and they do not answer you rightafrakkingway. In fact, do not be surprised if it takes over a full day to hear back from them. Do you KNOW how much mail a Leader gets a day? Lets just say that the Realm mailman needs a raise. Anyhow...one of the prime qualities to have in the Realm is patience...the other is a willingness to learn and be taught. We understand that you are a newbie, and don't know much about the Realm. But, if you get snotty and demanding, you've already earned a strike against you.

Another thing is that "jumping around" is viewed as very poor form, and will most likely find your character bounty killed, so be VERY sure that you and the Crew you want to join are going to be a good fit together.

Remember, the Realm is a very unique place. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Whatever games you've played in the past, whatever "expectations" you have about things here? Drop them in a deep, dark bottomless pit and forget about them. This is not your standard "clickmonkey" game. You have got to have some level of communication skills if you want to be part of a Crew. You have to be able to show that you will be a good addition to a Leaders Family, and not just upset the apple cart. You bear a certain level of responsibility in finding yourself a home.

And, you have to understand, that...Leaders have their rules for good reason. If you choose to open a Crew at some point, you too will be afforded this right.

So, in an effort to help you newbies who are in search of a new residence, I've put together this list of things to do, and things not to do. I hope this helps bridge some of the gap between the Young Bloods and the Old Guards:

1) When making your "first contact" mail, most Leaders would like to see this done out in Role Play. You don't have to be a screen writer, but a few sentences would be really helpful. They want to know who you are, in character. This means, no "chat speak" and no "one line" mails.

2) You may be referred off to a Crew Recruiter. Treat this person as you would the Leader. They are the person the Leader has appointed to "screen" new recruits, and they will make the decision as to if you are fit or not.

3) Each Leader has their own set of Crew Rules. It is not unreasonable for you to request to see these rules, provided you do so respectfully. Do not argue about rules you do not like. Crew Leaders have made these rules for their own reasons, and arguing will not help your case. If you do not agree with certain rules, do not join their Crew. It would end badly for you if you do, and then later decide to go against those rules. Simply politely tell the Leader or Recruiter that you've changed your mind, and move on to the next Crew.

4) If you get into your first choice, congratulations. If not, yes...you will be disappointed. But, think of it this way: Do you really want to be in a home where you just don't fit in? Move on, and repeat the process. Do not get discouraged. Some Crews just aren't accepting new members and others are looking for specific types of characters. Again, if you don't meet their requirements, you'll never really feel "at home" with them anyhow.

5) If you simply cannot find a Crew who will accept you, well...yes, this is tough, but don't lose heart. You don't need a crew. Yes, you can't do certain things, like kill Red Death characters or place or accept bounties, but...there is another option now open to you: Opening your own crew. This is going to be addressed in the upcoming Guide on Crew Creation changes some of us are currently working on.
August 29, 2011 01:58
A J Stephens

Don't forget to mention when doing the daily city searches, is best to do them one at a time instead of bulk. Everyone that has been here for awhile knows that is very helpful in a few ways.

August 29, 2011 03:51
Zoraida

Um stupid ish question. How do you become in a 'Union' with someone and things like that?

very vague but im confused x

August 31, 2011 09:45
Nicci

I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed, if it has someone please correct me.

For an unholy union you both must have a diamond ring and I believe, but am not certain that you both must go to the forbidden city. It could be that just one of you is required to do so. I honestly cannot remember.

August 31, 2011 15:00
Niaomi Peters To be in a union, each must have a diamond ring and then one person goes to the Forbidden City, sends a proposal. The person receiving the proposal then has to go to the Forbidden City, with a ring, and accept the proposal. If I'm correct, proposals cost $500,000 in regular cash, unsure how much Blood Money if possible. August 31, 2011 15:47
StormWolfKymarah

Oh...one other point to the Unions: You have to be of "like kind"...Witches and Vampires can be in unions together, and 'Wolves, Slayers or Angels can be together...An easier way to say this is...if you could call a Sanctuary "home" (whether you are IN one or not), then you can only marry another Sanctuary-eligible character...and likewise Coven.

August 31, 2011 17:13
Zoraida

Thanks for the help

was curious :)

August 31, 2011 21:52
Killian

Maybe not needed, but a monthly bump

September 04, 2011 12:53
Anark

HA! This even helped me alittle bit and ive been here for nearly 3 years now. I can never seem to remember how that blasted Union works. It was just a curiosity thing but my question was answered.

Oh and if anyone need some help with their RP skill I wil be willing to hold one on one sessions to give you a helping hand. I can give you some tips to make the length of your post just a tad bit longer and juicier. It is the meat of the RP sammich that most people forget about.... mmm juicy RP sammich. *drools*

September 05, 2011 00:04
Danika

Aww im an angel so that means cant marry a vampire :( damn sad

September 05, 2011 18:42
Queen Layla Isabella

Its 5,000 in BM. Only one can have a diamond ring. And you cant marry outside your race.

September 07, 2011 13:32
Sheila Atwater

What do you mean only one can have a ring?

Last time I was married we both had rings.

And what Stormy says it true, so interracial marriages are possible

September 13, 2011 11:44
Queen Layla Isabella

Yea, witches and vamps. Wolves, slayers, and angels can only marry. And two of you can give each other a diamond ring. But all you need is one really. Because I got married, and he had two rings, so he proposed to me with one. Its really either or.

September 14, 2011 10:26
Queen Layla Isabella well, you both have to have a ring. You find them in the forbidden city. If anyone needs help feel free to contact me. October 10, 2011 13:38
Victorious
October 13, 2011 18:20
Lady Amaranth

Thank you for all the thought and hard work put into this thread to help out us new to the Realm and at a bit of a loss.

I have spent a good deal of time reading the various forums and looking at a plethora of awesome and inspiring profiles. what i dont quite understand is the profile comments. Is it a place where rp is encouraged? I know it can be confusing and i can see how sometimes it encompasses a large group of posts across many profiles, but that has potential to be difficult to follow.  Is there a right/wrong way to comment posting? or a set of rules/guidelines? or is it all a matter of preference between those involved?

(sorry if this is covered in another help section. if so please just point a newbie there - cant know 'everything" in the first 24 hours... much to my chagrin)

*smiles and curtsies in advance thanks*

October 15, 2011 17:26
Killian

It is a matter of preference. RP is encouraged in the forums and mails, it can be difficult to foloow yes.

October 16, 2011 11:13
Killian

Aaand a montly bump

November 20, 2011 10:08
Marius Reisse

Okay, so...read this. Now, I got a Rand's Glory equipped...but...I can't  make any attack at all, tourist whacks me round the head, cop throws me in the dungeon, Little girl....not even gonna go there.

So, what am I missing apart from attacks/defense?

December 09, 2011 21:37
Oriana Walker

Marius do you have enough bm to start doing your skill training? Focus on defense first then move on to the others leaving attack mostly alone.

December 11, 2011 10:28
Marius Reisse

Not to raise them all, I got about a thousand or so

December 12, 2011 07:12
Hera1

Just wanted to say TY from all us "NEWBZ" lol. That was a big help. Hmmm now if i can get the rest of this stuff down i should be okay :P

December 14, 2011 17:46
Marius Reisse

You'll make it. Any questions, ask nicely. That, and....have fun

December 15, 2011 06:26
StormWolfKymarah Ok, ok...I know I've been neglecting this a bit, but...I figure I'd better add another lesson...so here goes:

Today, I'ma touch on why Newbies seem to be "targeted" so much.

So, ya made it through the fresh blood Protection and now suddenly, everyone and their cousin seems to "have it out" for ya? Actually, it's nothing personal at all...what's really going on is that, due to the way Standings are calculated between Crews, anyone who is Unaffiliated tends to make great targets...especially if they are also tender newbies.

I know it's disheartening and frustrating to be constantly attacked for seemingly no reason, but don't despair! Strange as it may seem, every time someone attacks you and wins? Guess what...yer defense goes up a teeny tiny bit. Whenever yer wallet is lightened, this also helps your stats. Keep working your City Searches, and equip the basic gear ASAP...and as soon as ya have about 100 tribute searches saved up, go to the Forbidden City. Sure, the Dark Lord will make paste of ya, but you usually find cool stuff and blood money up there. Also scout out the Market for better gear...ya never know what kinda deals you might score there on gear.

So, chin up, Dear Newblet...it DOES get better. Just keep swimmin'...
December 16, 2011 19:27
Oriana Walker

Its fine if you can't raise them all right now. Just start working on doing your skill training when you can and you will start noticing the difference. 

December 19, 2011 21:27
Boris Badenov

Pg. 3, about unions...Boris know witches and vampires can marry each other, and angels, slayers and werewolves can marry within their group.

Angel + Werewolf

Werewolf + Slayer

Slayer + Angel

Witch + Vampire

Boris know from seeing others in realm mixed.

December 22, 2011 14:39
Jesse Jackson

I have a question, dear Answering Gods of the Sky.

Is there a certain RP that is not allowed on here? For example, on one Text-based I used to play, it could only be an RP that circled around the "Town". In another, no kiddish type RPs (Pokemon, Cartoons, "Everyone let's be friends!" type). And in another (or most of them) no Adult type RPs (anything that mothers would shield their children's eyes from). I didn't see if there was a certain type or not, so thank you for helping.

Oh, and Happy New Years.

January 01, 2012 16:44
StormWolfKymarah

Well, this is a PG-13 game, so expect a lot of disembodied motherly hands covering your thread if you try to turn on the steam...

Culturally, we here in the Realm collectively frown on themes that borrow too heavily from any other type of genre, including people who borrow WAY too much influence for their characters and base them too much on other Vampire/Werewolf, etc characters from other sources. We like to encourage people to create their own unique characters, rather than spawn cookie-cutter Cullen cut-outs. 

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but rather that most of us here would rather see someones own creative design, rather than something that really belongs on a fansite. Borrowing a well-known name isn't bad, per se, since there are those here who've actually managed to give their popularly-named character their own sense of unique identity, but RPing as "the" character (as in, keeping to the original authors "cannon" for the character) is frowned on here.

Soo...if someone just has to RP Shadow or Pikachu, well...hopefully they're able to put a Vampire/Werewolf/Witch/Angel/Slayer spin on it. But, more likely, no one will participate, and the thread will die a sad and lonely death.

Hope that helps...

January 01, 2012 17:33
Jesse Jackson

Ah. Thank you immensly. :)

January 01, 2012 17:59
StormWolfKymarah Stormy's Guide, Adendum:

Wow...a few changes to report here. Some fairly big 'uns, too...

*)No more 24 hour wait time to get invited into a Crew
*)There is now a Rank Progress Meter...now we CAN see when we're about to Rank up.

The Elders are also working on some other changes, but those haven't quite been implemented yet...

Sorry...it's still a text-based game, and there's still stuff ya gotta read...and Dracula is still old.
January 18, 2012 15:40
Thillis

I just wanted to suggest that if you want to RP with someone via mail, you should send them an OOC message first to ask if it's okay and set up a scenario/setting so as to avoid  pulling them into where ever, that was mentioned on pg 1. I find it really helps when we are both on the same page on how to start BEFORE we actually start

March 01, 2012 18:04
Fnord

Ok , not sure if this is the place to post, but im more then a little confused as to what entails a Rp to different people. I have engaged in a few conversations and i guess im just not foing something right . 

March 21, 2012 16:15
StormWolfKymarah

This is a great place to ask that question, Fnord.

RPing is a learned art...especially the trickiest of all RP skills: Beginning an RP. It may not be that yer "doing something wrong", so much as possibly just not giving your RP partner an opening that's appropriate for their character or a number of other reasons, such as Real Life. 

On that note, please bear in mind that, just because you see someone log in, does not mean they're able to answer mails. Some cellphones and other non-computer devices that allow us to log in, sometimes don't allow (or make it VERY difficult to) reply to mails. Another reason could be that they've logged in just for some mindless clicking for a bit, to "get away" from life for awhile....or, like in my case, I'm struggling with an illness that makes my brain all mooshy a lot of times, so chances are you really wouldn't want me to try to reply without a lot of thought and preparation. 

So, yeah...RPing is a lot of hit-n-miss, but eventually you'll find yer 'niche'. Try advertising over in the Mortal Thoughts forum...the "Character Classifieds"... http://www.bloodletting.org/forums/forum_posts.php?topicID=20360058bb0996bd76e7b734e328a279b4459

March 22, 2012 21:14
Zana Ivanova Just a tiny bit of advice for you new players: Sending out angry mail to people before bothering to find out why you've been attacked or stolen from as a "Newbie" is not always a wise decision. As it is addressed here in this thread, I see absolutely no excuse for rants such as this, particularly when done "OOC":

Originally Sent By: (Name of Angry, ill-informed New Player withheld)
Sent: Sunday Apr 22, 2012 at 08:49 am EDT
Subject: WTF...

O.O.C. *******. You stealing from a young player as I am! You feel like ripping someone off do it to someone that can afford it. I hope you choke on it *****!!!
April 22, 2012 17:52
Lucarcious Gruhntak

Thankyou! this has helped me so much!

April 24, 2012 22:24
StormWolfKymarah Glad it helped. It's not intended to be a comprehensive "end all" kinda help thingy, but something to get ya on yer way.

And, since Zana brought it up, I should prolly address the whole "nasty mail" thing, since this has managed to work itself into a huge bruhahah between the original author of the above-posted mail, and myself. This person is now arguing, rather vigorously, that I had absolutely no business in "getting involved" in the matter.

So, today's Newbie Tip is gonna be on Crew Etiquette. Namely, how to deal with...and how NOT to deal with...Leaders and Confidantes.

Most, if not ALL of the Crews here, be they Coven or Sanctuary, have a "Chain of Command" that members follow when problems start. Members are usually instructed to go up this CoC, starting with the Confidante, and if the problem can't be resolved there, to the Leader. If it's a serious problem, the next step after that would be to go to an Elder. (Though, there are situations where skipping Crew Leadership and going right to an Elder is warranted).

Telling the Confidante of ANY crew that "this is none of your business" is wrong, on many levels, and might even get you a well-earned bounty killing. Especially if you happen to NOT be in a crew yourself.

Leaders and Confidantes have earned their positions. The Realm has a nasty habit of weeding out those in Leadership who do not belong in the positions, so those who wear the Gold or Silver robes any length of time have earned that right. To lecture them on how they run their Crew is pretty much declaring your own death wish.

Does that mean that Leaders and Cons are "always right"? No. But antagonizing a Leader or Con in such a fashion, especially over something one of their crew members did in accordance with their Crew rules, just ain't wise, Grasshoppah. Does that mean that Leaders and Cons are "unapproachable"? No. Just...some tact and diplomacy is generally the key here.

Now, I'm NOT writing this all to pick on this poor newbie who lost his temper...because it does happen from time to time, and yeah...on the surface, being attacked or stolen from right out the gate seems like a crappy thing to have happen to ya when ya just start out. Which...is why I took the time to write this guide in the first place. So people would know that they aren't "being picked on" or singled out. But, I am writing this because a lot of respect seems to have gone missing in the Realm of late...both toward Leaders and Cons, and towards regular players in general.

Again, the Realm is not like any other society you might be part of out there in Internetland. It takes time to learn the ebb and flow, and how things are "done" here. This game also dun seem to favor the "lone wolf/bat/witch/whatever" type...it's truly geared for more social interaction, be it through Crew participation, or simple forum RP's.
April 25, 2012 00:58
Lucarcious Gruhntak Is everyone welcome to be a coven leader once they reach rank 7? What are the bonuses in the real estate department thingy? May 05, 2012 17:04
StormWolfKymarah Well, everyone is welcome to Interview to be a Leader, yes. Whether the Realm likes an Interviewee's answers or attitude, however...well...that isn't guaranteed.

Here's the relevant forum on how one goes about the process:
http://www.bloodletting.org/forums/forum_posts.php?topicID=1948586f08cb8f830a8441043d495673e1b08

The bonuses are for your Crew Headquarters, just like it says on the label:
* Bonus levels determine how much of a bonus each member receives while in the city their HQ is located.

You can always get the small HQ to start, and then upgrade later.
May 08, 2012 00:16
Lucarcious Gruhntak Gotchya :) Thankyou May 08, 2012 22:05
Versage Flames

So my darling sister did something other than cause my computer to short out? Impressive *Grins*

May 19, 2012 05:25
StormWolfKymarah Well, mebbeh this time ya actually learned somethin'...

*Wanders off, humming about pirates who dun do anything, and not seeing Boston in the fall...*
May 19, 2012 18:27
Versage Flames

You really are begging to get smacked... Oh also did you ever put in your little guide about the importance of attacking and stealing not just to raise those two stats but also to work on the ever important hidden stealth stat?

June 03, 2012 11:59
Marjane

So I just levelled up (wootwoot!!) but I have yet to make a successful steal... >.> 

Is this normal or is something wrong with me!? 

July 02, 2012 07:30
StormWolfKymarah Oh...sorry I missed this, Marjane. Been having some off-Realm issues lately.

But, to answer your question: Absolutely, this is normal. It's not unusual to fail at steals and crimes for a good long time....not to discourage you, but somewhere in the 50's range is not unheard of for either before you get get your first success. But...it never was meant to be "easy", and the more you succeed, well...the more you succeed.
July 05, 2012 02:02
Ro TavVin Just a quick note...

I've noticed that there's been an influx of players who may have left the Realm some time ago, and are just now returning, so this little bit is mostly for them.

Things have changed in the last year here in the Realm...

-Anyone can make a Crew now, without having to ask permission or even announce their intentions to do so, though I would hope that those who wish to remain open continue to at least follow the old courtesies...but that's just my own personal opinion.

-We now have a ranking progress bar, and Non-affiliated residents can rank or hold themselves as they wish.

-Admins no longer fill the Dungeons routinely, as Crew Leadership can now pay to do so, as can individual residents (for a hefty price, of course).

-Crews, as well as regular citizens, can now purchase the creation of zombies, though no guarantees as to who can kill said zombies is stated or implied.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few, so feel free to toss those in a post here as well.

January 15, 2013 01:10
Talia al Ghul

She stood frantically looking for any sign of the new world regulations. This had come by so quickly that she had became over induldged with the information flying at her at every turn. Someone had been kind enough to show her somewhat of the way but it wasn't long before she felt the isolation of being alone. The promise of friendship seemed to be slipping away and desolation snuck up and grasped its grizzly claws within.

My name is Talia al Ghul, I am looking for direction and purpose, friendship and roleplay. 

February 13, 2013 14:21
Edeori Talia, you may want to seek out Thor's Want Ads in the Neighborhood Forum and within the Slayer's Forum. If you seek answers to other questions, the Greens like myself are here to assist. February 13, 2013 20:51
Mallory Quarters

To tag onto Ro TavVin post; we also have magic now, you earn your spell-book by City searches and your wand with FC searches. You will now also find sulfur (Forbidden City searches) and mandrake-root (City searches). You will need those items to cast spells once you earn your book and wand.

February 14, 2013 20:47
Gizmo-Stripe

It's allot to read but I will try to remember it all. Thx's

July 15, 2013 15:27
Titania Knightwalker

thanks a lot for posting this i had no idea what to do before i read this! smiley

August 20, 2013 05:25
Ahlf Kole

Thanks for the help hope I can remember that all.

February 28, 2014 15:36
John Preston

Thank you to all with their advise I will hope for the best. So far bloodletting sounds like a fun game I will try it out. 

April 02, 2014 13:06
Ro TavVin Coffins and fairies and dragons, oh my...

I've been away for a year, so I have no sage advice on these additions. I'm still figuring them out myself.

However, a quick tip for any newbies, as my host seems to have neglected it in her first posts, and I further failed to mention it as well, is that the first thing you need to concentrate on is Defense. Getting NPC's to "miss" you in the City Encounters and by attacking other players will raise your defense skill. If you let your Attack get too high too fast, your Defense will suffer for it. A lesson my host learned the hard way, once upon a long time ago.

Feel free to post questions. I don't bite anymore. Much.
May 02, 2014 06:36
Aristotle DuPont I have read all of the above throughly and found it very helpful.

The only thing that I don't understand is this: The game power attributes. I have done searches and a little crime so far, but all my attributes remain zero. I have made the NPC's miss and I still have zero, the only thing which has gone up is my rank. I would be grateful if someone could please tell me why. Thank you :)
June 20, 2014 17:34
Jackson McCarthy Those are generally hidden stats that are being built up as you click, but we have the option to buy up to 5 points of those five stats/attributes, which you can find by going to the forgotten market and then clicking on the Skill Training tab. When you buy a point, it will then show up on your page. June 20, 2014 18:47
Melesor

Hi. So I got the random code encounter thingy while doing city serches and have no idea how to get rid of it. Can somebody tell me?

August 18, 2014 09:40
Melesor

Never mind, I am an idiot. Well, everyone was a noob at some point.

August 18, 2014 09:55
Eudoxia Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! I have found this thread very helpful.

One question: Is there any reason to save artifacts? Or are they simply there to sell for cash? I am sitting on a bundle assuming they had some other purpose besides trade for money.

Thanks again for all the help!
October 08, 2014 14:12
Lenny Shultz Sell artifacts, but know that some cities have a better rate than others. October 08, 2014 23:55
Drechnial Tepes

I do have a question. Its a piece of information I havent found anywhere at all yet. When you place your ranking on hold does that also place your stat gain on hold or do your stats continue to increase? I understand this can be determined by simply trial and error but at the same time there may be some people who read everything they can to learn as much as possible before actually beginning. So far I have enjoyed everything that has been written. That was my only question. Thank you for your time.

October 15, 2014 11:41
River Song Your stats will continue to increase with your rank on hold. You just won't be able to see your progress in % once your meter hits 100%, but everything you do will still count towards future ranks. October 15, 2014 14:41
Drechnial Tepes

Thank you

October 15, 2014 17:33
Gambit

Thank you so much for your help. That is allot to remember but it all sounds fun. :)

January 25, 2015 20:30
KaylaThorne

How do I change my profile picture?

March 16, 2015 20:32
KaylaThorne

How do i change my profile picture?

March 16, 2015 20:46
lacigam From the main profile page the little update link in light blue, then copy paste a URL in the top box and then if the URL is a good one it will display for you. March 17, 2015 11:27
Plutozbub

Can you give more info on mails. I don't understand what I do? Just mail people random stuff?

June 29, 2015 16:14
Jackson McCarthy

The mail system is for private messages, similar to real world email, though you can use it to RP. Some people just use it for out of character contact to set up stories between their characters or just chat.

June 30, 2015 16:37
Acoda

So, focus on building up Defense stat.  Then, Might's Demise & Rand's Justice is equal to Yay ("tanker build")?   *Also, taking notes here.

October 14, 2015 15:35
La Scoumoune
I have a question.

It is fine if I write the narrative in the third person and the actions of my character in the first person?
December 03, 2015 11:54
Gannicus_

Thank you very much for the advise.

March 29, 2016 20:56
Penelope Vega One more thing:
Don't bulk searches.
August 18, 2016 21:09
Kurt Whiteman

Thank you for the info. I will try my best to do so.

April 03, 2017 14:29
Azazelle Ixielle

What is the difference in joining a Coven/Sanctuary v Not in one? Pros and Cons?

June 27, 2017 17:07
Lyra Black Where do you go to get a familiar? September 01, 2017 10:13
Bree Ravencroft

Lyra, you go to the forgotten market. On the Bazaar (buy) tab there's a spot where familiars are listed and can be bought.

September 02, 2017 14:58
Janel Simpson First, thank you for this guide!
As for the Minion and Familiar.
I think this will take some time to be accomplished for new players, unless if we're lucky to get a starter pack.

October 17, 2017 21:17
The Orange She Wolf

Whats the difference in Bulking Searches and NOT Bulking Searches?

April 26, 2018 16:11
Bree Ravencroft

In bulk searching you do not get the encounters and experience from fighting the encounters. It is just a way to get searches done and earn a bit of money if you're short on time.

If you do want to rank up and make your character strong in the lon run, then doing all the searches one by one is the way to go.

April 26, 2018 20:27
The Orange She Wolf Okay thanks Bree Ravencroft :) April 26, 2018 22:13
Jack Campbell

How do I use these banner things? It says it doubles the loot from treasure chests... but I have never seen a treasure chest.

July 12, 2018 12:55
celia

Thanks for the info Stormy. This is gonna speed things up... a little. lol

Seriously tho, I'm wishing I had seen this post first.

Very helpful indeed. enlightened

October 05, 2018 11:33