Current Time: 08:11 am EDT

Interview with Veronica N. Davis

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1
  Creator Post Date

Dr Van Helsing

I had the pleasure of interviewing a fantastic young author who has just published her first novel Blind Thirst.

Description: How do you defend someoneīs name when you have fallen in love with their enemy?

Alessandria Calligenia is determined to save her fatherīs name, tarnished by 2,000 years worth of damage done by the Vacherieīs. The war between the undead (the Vampires) and the living (the tigers)has begun. Faced with a past she had no control over, Alessandria quickly becomes caught up in a world she canīt face alone. Darkness has fallen and clutched everything in its path, including her. But, within the darkness she sees light...Ethan Hassan, every undead girlīs fantasy. But she has to keep one thing in mind: people only tell you what they want you to know.

Check out her novel and I hope you enjoy this interview.

1. How long have you been writing?

I've been writing since I was 8 years old, but I didn't take it seriously until I was about 14.

2. What inspired you to write this novel?

Honestly? My best friends did, and the current obsession for all things vampire. I've always wanted to create something dark, and gothic, but shed some light on it at the same time. I guess...my inspiration though, was my online vampire short stories.

3. What authors do you read the most?

I am a hardcore lover of all Dean Koontz novels and J.D Robb (also known as Nora Roberts). I love them! I did book reports on them, I modeled after their works...They are so amaizng to me.

4. Where do you draw your inspiration for novel topics?

I don't draw my inspiration from any one thing. I let it hit me when it hits me, but I have noticed when it hits me. It's normally 6 in the morning and I'm alone and I just get an idea, and it's like I have to write this now!

5. What do you do when you suffer writer's block?

Other than cry? No, seriously. When I suffer from writer's block I free write. Whatever comes to my mind I let it flow, and if nothing should occur...I step back from it for a few days, maybe even weeks. I do NOT believe in forcing myself to write. If I can't do it, I just can't do it for that time period. It'll come back to me.

6. When can we expect another book from you?

I'm hoping for another book in the fall of 2011...I'm not absolutely positive that's going to work out though, but I hope it does.

7. Do you prefer a specific genre when writing or do you just go with the flow of your imagination?

I'm all about going with the flow, yes. I do sometimes want to have something done a certain way. Like...if I'm writing about vampires, and it turns into a comedy, I may not always want it that way, but I will try to keep some parts lighthearted.

8. From start to finish, how long did it take you to complete your first novel?

From August 25, 2008 to January 15, 2009.

9. What advice do you have for budding authors?

No matter how hard you criticize your own work, you have to realize that you are going to be harder on yourself than anyone else. Don't let that stop you from publishing your work. I think that is overall what prevents so many wonderful writers from producing and publishing their work...It's really sad.

10. Have you found social networks to be a good source of promotion for you?

Other than twitter, no. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't be doing. I consult my older sisters first, but...Since I'm doing it alone...I just try to find things that fit with my book, like a young audience for instance...Trying to give my generation something to enjoy and identify with that is from someone their own age.

11. Do you think writer's get better with time or is the talent always there? In other words, can a bad writer get better?

I think it differs for every person. Some people are just born with gifts while others craft them... I think too that people categorize writers too much. I don't believe in 'bad' writers. I believe in writer's looking for a topic that best suits their writing style...And everyone prefers one author over another, that's just how it works. So how can one say this writer is bad and this one is good? They probably haven't found what their best at yet.

12. Any special talents in addition to writing that you have?

Yes, actually. I am a graphic designer, and I play the piano. I sing as well, but none of these are professional. They were hobbies (like writing) that turned into something very real for me, that I enjoy. I am very artistic...It's how I connect to the people around me, especially those of my generation.

13. Where do you hope to be in 10 years?

I want to have at least 3 more novels out that are each better than the one before it. I would also like to have 1 best seller. I think that would be absolutely amazing! But, first and foremost, I want to graduate from college with a Bachelor's in Graphic Design.

14. In the movie about your life, who plays you on the big screen?

I wouldn't mind it if Katerina Graham played my character. She's a really amazing person, close to my age, and she keeps in touch with her fans. I felt very honored to receive messages from her. She's wonderful inside and out.

15. Since this is for an online RPG, which character race would you be; Vampire, Slayer, Angel, Werewolf, or Witch?

Well, it's ironic that the woman that would play me in the movie plays a witch on Vampire Diaries because I would be a witch. I don't think I can deal with being a vampire for too long. I think after the first millennium I would want someone to drive a stake through my heart hahaha. I do not want to live forever, because life isn't always as wonderful as it seems. Then again, it is what we make it!

November 15, 2009 09:55 am

Dr Van Helsing

You can purchase Ms. Davis' book here: http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=66250 November 15, 2009 10:09 am

Viktor

good interview DVH November 15, 2009 01:31 pm

Dr Van Helsing

Thank you, she was a plasure to interview and is a very friendly person. Look for her on Twitter, I'm sure she would love to hear from folks about the interview and writing in general. November 15, 2009 01:36 pm

Anark

How old is she? November 18, 2009 09:08 pm

Dr Van Helsing

She is 19 or 20. November 21, 2009 07:59 am

Anark

I was actually skeptical of writing a book as such a young age of 21 but this interview has actually inspired me finally start writing my own book. Let's just hope that Im as successful. Thank you for posting this interview DVH. November 22, 2009 05:34 am

Dr Van Helsing

Correction, she is 18 years old. November 23, 2009 01:55 pm

Anark

wow, thats incredible November 30, 2009 10:57 pm
Actives (31) Fresh Blood (5) View All The Fallen (0) Graveyard
Eowyn, Winter Summers, Bree Ravencroft, Rosa Ravenwalker, Gabriel Orland, Jayden Moon, Lance Hunter, Nomi Marks, Potato, Lucille, Dutchies Prize, Nathan Maloney, Bojangles, Wolfgang Bogdanow, Percy Fawcett, Bobbi Morse, Mommas Boy, Ellason, Grant Ward, Samson, Riley Blue, King Arthur, Orangesrlife, Lito Rodriguez, Jemma Simmons, Jacenstein Jr, Jamesola, Jax Teller, Carl, Will Gorski, Raleigh Becket  Genesiss
Circe of Aea
Faelan Hunter
No Fear Cavalier
Nymira Blake 

Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger1 | Blogger2 | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page