Current Time: 06:03 pm EDT

Interview with A. M. Esmonde

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1
  Creator Post Date

Dr Van Helsing

Members of the Realm, this week I had the pleasure of interviewing horror author A. M. Esmonde. He is the author of The Breathing Dead, Blood Hunger & Deathwatch. A. M. Esmonde lives in Wales, United Kingdom. He is an avid fan of all genres of film, books, music and art alike, although he has written many stories and screen-plays, The Breathing Dead was his first adventure horror, young adult novelette to be published.

How long have you been writing?

I have been writing for nearly 20 years, since I was 12, I was about 18 when I knocked out my first screen-play, which I plugged for many years before getting a break. Unfortunately, the film company got into financial problems and became a distributer and my script ended up in development hell.

Why did you select the horror genre?

I love horror, all kinds. I've always been drawn to horror since a child, intrigued by ghost stories, ominous book covers, illustrations of Hans Christian Andersen, the Grimm brothers and scary video sleeves.

Do any other genres appeal to you?

Sci-Fi, horror and sci-fi they seem to go hand in hand. I'm working on a sci-fi at the moment called 'The Final Version'. I like most fiction, thrillers and true crime.

From start to finish, how long does it take you to complete a book?

Umm, depends on how much research I need to do and the editing process.

Were you an avid reader growing up?

I was mostly an avid comic book reader . I loved Marvel, Asterix and the Beano. I'm not sure if you'd be familiar with them but I was fond of Roger Hargreaves Mr. Men children's books. This may sound a bit weird but my mother was/is a big reader, and I'd read Jackie Collins (don't ask), H.G. Wells, Stephen King, H.P Lovecraft and James Herbert.

Did you put a lot of effort into your writing or did the process come
easily to you?

I put a lot of effort into it. The story outline comes easy to me, I'm a great story teller. But as a narrative it is more difficult. I'm always learning.

Who are your favourite authors?

Modern authors Michael Crichton, rest his soul. Steve Alten, K W Jetter and James Herbert. Classic authors, M R James; H.G Wells; Abraham 'Bram' Stoker and Joseph Sheridan to name a few.

What's the best piece of advice you have ever gotten in regards to
your writing?

"Show the reader not tell the reader." Another piece advice I was given by Steve Alten (author of the MEG series) was don't commit every book to one publisher.

What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Keep writing, practice, practice and practice. Believe in yourself and keep plugging.

What scares you?

Woodlice, I hate them. And death on occasion, when you think really hard and see the emptiness.

Do you now or have you ever done any screenwriting? If so can you provide details?

Riverside Hotel: Diabolus, was the one I mentioned ending up in development hell. Revamped: A vampire tale a short, that I wrote, co- directed and produced. Terminus the film is in Post Production, the character in it is based on the vampire character Anushka, who appears briefly in my coming novel Blood Hunger.

What's next on your agenda?

Promoting The Breathing Dead audio book. Promo' Blood Hunger which may meet a Christmas or early January release. Deathwatch is with the Editor now and the novel is next due out Spring 2010, then a werewolf tale called Darkest Moons. More films and The Final Version novel.

What process do you use for developing character names?

All kinds of crazy things, cutting out names from a newspaper and randomly picking the first and last name out. Sometimes the first thing that comes to mind, then I ask myself does it fit the character?

How do you combat writer's block?

I usually throw idea's at my web-readers, friends and family, they give an opinion and it usually sparks something else off in my mind.

Another thing, I used to use a note book, now I use an Iphone and write dialogue and ideas down, I then refer to them, you never know when they'll come in handy. And lastly sometimes just waiting works something will come in a dream one night and will help lay something out. Eat lots of cheese before bed!

Since this is for a role-playing game and our players would want to know, what would you be? Vampire, Slayer, Witch, Werewolf, or Angel?

Right at this moment, a Slayer. I like a challenge!

Thanks Blood Letting and ArcticMoon, its been fun and I'll see you on the net and in an online books-store.

A. M. Esmonde can be reached at thebreathingdead@hotmail.co.uk. Please check out his books and I hope you ejoyed the interview. http://www.breathingdead.co.cc/

DVH
December 04, 2009 03:36 pm
Actives (33) Fresh Blood (1) View All The Fallen (4) Graveyard
Caitlyn Darrow, Lesprit, The Rainbow Angel, Cristina Scabbia, Summer S Summers, Gideon Abernathy, Ronan Boru, Rhiannon Whitaker, Atticus Hammond, Autumn Dalca, -Gabriel-, Jughead Jones, Kate Pearson, Prince John, Dark 2, Frankie Sonder, Dark 5, En Sabah Nur, Orangesrlife, Veronica Lodge, Beth Pearson, Coyote Sonder, Randall Pearson, Llewyn Davis, Poe Dameron, Betty Cooper, Kevin Pearson, The Babysitter, Dark 3, Robert Sonder, Abel Morales, Cheryl Blossom, Jack Pearson  Gracie Lou Arch  Archie Andrews
Beck Ruud
Caroline Meyer
Dark 1 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger1 | Blogger2 | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page