Current Time: 08:44 pm EDT

Author 42's Guide to Coding

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
  Creator Post Date

The Dark Chronicle

Author 42's Guide to Coding
I like you have spent my share of time in the realm trying to wrap my head around how to get my profile, as well as my forum posts, comments and even on the sad occasion, eulogy posts, to look the way I want them to. My first attempt at a profile ended with the dreaded BBOT (Big block of text) when I realized that profiles, along with comments and eulogies, do not keep your formatting unless you force it to.

Eventually I began to figure things out, and learned how to get by with posting pictures, and fancying up my text, and then decided to go a bit further. However, looking around I notice that it is very difficult to find a good source for coding! I find myself resorting to copying code off previous posts, or copying the code someone else posted on my comment section when I am away from my computer and can't access a text file with copies of code.

That being said, I decided I should go ahead and write one. First you'll find a pretty basic bare-bones listing of a bunch of coding and what it looks like. The idea is pretty simple, the text in the grey boxes is exactly the code used to format the text just above it. If you just copy and paste it, you'll get exactly what is shown above. The idea being, replace the text with whatever text YOU want, and alter the formatting as seems fitting.

If you want more detail about the individual bits of code, continue further as my later posts will cover this same code in more detail. Finally, the last posts involve more advanced coding. If you just want to get your profile up and running, you probably won't really care about that, but if you're looking for a little something to spark your imagination and give your profile a little extra flash, then you might get something out of it.

This text is in italics
<i>This text is in italics</i>

This text is in bold
<b>This text is in bold</b>

This text is underlined
<u>This text is underlined.</u>

This text has a strike going through it!
<strike>This text has a strike going through it!</strike>

This text is at font size 20
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; font-size:20pt;">This text is at font size 20</i>

This text is red.
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; color: red;">This text is red.</i>

This font is 'comic sans ms' (Sorry to all you typography nerds out there who have to look at this)
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; font-family:'comic sans ms';">This font is 'comic sans ms'(Sorry to all you typography nerds out there who have to look at this.)</i>

NOTE: Not all fonts are supported by every computer. Fonts not supported by a computer will be seen in the default font. See below for list of fonts most commonly supported fonts.

This text is aligned to the right.
This text is aligned to the center.
This text is aligned to the left.
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: right;">This text is aligned to the right.</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: center;">This text is aligned to the center.</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: left;">This text is aligned to the left.</i>

Shadowy alter ego text ACTIVATE!
<i style="background-image: url('http://i54.tinypic.com/2ptpezs.png'); padding-bottom: 5px;">Shadowy alter ego text ACTIVATE!</i>

<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 437px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/a4ufqx.png'); "></i>

<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 421px; background-image:url('http://i56.tinypic.com/29vj2x.png'); margin-right:0px; margin-left: auto; "></i>
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 425px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/4rxlbq.png'); margin-right:auto; margin-left: auto; "></i>
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 437px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/a4ufqx.png'); margin-right:auto; margin-left: 0px; "></i>

This text shows up before the image.This text shows up ON the imageThis text shows up AFTER the image.
This text shows up before the image.<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 437px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/a4ufqx.png'); ">This text shows up ON the image</i>This text shows up AFTER the image.

December 07, 2010 03:28 am

The Dark Chronicle

Text Formatting
Text formatting is a good way to draw attention to important things. However, overuse of simple attention drawing methods will cause the effect to be lost, as the reader will have trouble focusing on one thing.

I find the most clever use of text formatting isn't so much to make things big and in your face so much as to simply make the text easier on the eyes and more pleasant to read.

When dealing with font color it is also important to make sure you are taking into account, what background it is contrasting against. Bloodletting has a red background (55, 0, 0 or #330000 if you are using numeric color values) which means most of the time this is the color you will have behind your text. Strangely enough this does not mean you should avoid using red as your font color, in fact there are many colors that are harder to read on this background than red. Take for example the headline of this article, is in red lettering. However if you were to change the font color to black, it would be very difficult to read. Rule of thumb is... if the background is more dark than light, make your font a lighter color. If the background is more light than dark, make the font color a darker color. In all cases, either white or black text will provide the MOST contrast. However high contrast can also be harder on the eyes, so you may consider changing your text to a softer color, and then may notice your text seems a bit easier to take.

When it comes to using italics, bold, underlines and strikethroughs, I prefer to use them to distinguish the intent of what is being written. Many people use italics to either show what they are speaking, or what they are thinking. You can also incorporate bold text to make your writing more easy to distinguish. Supposing somebody is reading your roleplay and is trying to go through and figure out all the things your character physically said out loud, you could put all that in bold to make it pop out a bit, while keeping your thoughts and inner monolouge in italics.

In the end though, be creative! You won't stand out by just copying what someone else does exactly. Take what I've written up here and make it your own.

At the bottom you'll see what best I can make as a text formatting workbench. Something you can use to create your own uniquely formatted text.

Basic Tags
Using bold, italics, underline, and strikethrough is pretty simple. Simply enclose the text you want in the tag! You will use the <b>, <i>, <u> and <strike> tags accordingly. Make sure to put the appropriate closing tag at the end! (closing tags will be the same with a slash at the front: </b>, </i>, </u> and </strike>)
This sentence has bold, italic, underlined words and even a few that have been struck through!
This sentence has <b>bold</b>, <i>italic</i>, <u>underlined</u> words and even <strike>a few that have been struck through</strike>!

Font Size
Changing the font size can be useful, but avoid using too large a font size for more than a line or two if you can. It's great for headers, but can make it irritating to read a paragraph when the increased size makes 100 words take up five pages worth of space...
This text is bigger than normal!
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; font-size:20pt;">This text is bigger than normal!</i>
If you want to change how big the font size is, change "20pt" to any other number, but make sure to put "pt" after the number.

Font Color
Changing the color can bring flavor into your text, and can be used to set the mood for whatever you're writing. Careful use of font color can deepen the mental and emotional impact of your writing, but using lime green text on a bright yellow background can make people hate you and want to kill you. Be careful is all I'm saying.

You can control the font color three different ways. You can either simply use the name of the color, but you cannot adjust the color very much with this method. You can also choose the color based on the RGB color valuse. (RGB = Red, Green and Blue. The primary colors of light) you can either do this in hex values, or in decimal values. (If you have done much HTML coding, you may already be familliar with hex values and be most comfortable with those) Should you wish to use color values, you need to enter a number between 0 and 255 for decimal, or 0 to FF in hexidecimal. (255 in decimal is FF in hexidecimal)

color:red; ---Color Name---
color:rgb(255,00,00); ---Decimal---
color:#FF0000; ---Hexidecimal---

If you want to use decimal format, enter the color value for red first, then green, then blue. Same for Hexidecimal, but the hex values are not seperated by commas.

If you have trouble figuring out the values, there are many websites that will show a large variety of colors and their hex and decimal values. Also many image editors will let you select a color and view it's color values.

This text is read. Hah! See what I did there? Red? Read? MAN I'm clever...
This text is also red... Except this text doesn't have a cheesy joke.
Red is the color you would see most when being eaten by a dinosaur. Just saying...
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; color: red;">This text is read. Hah! See what I did there? Red? Read? MAN I'm clever...</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; color: rgb(255,00,00);">This text is also red... Except this text doesn't have a cheesy joke.</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; color:#FF0000;">Red is the color you would see most when being eaten by a dinosaur. Just saying...</i>

Hilighting Text
What's that? You want to hilight text? Well of course you can hilight text! It's not even that hard (compared to some other things in this guide anyway)
This text has been hilighted!
But wait... sure the text is hilighted... But now I can't read it since the color I WANTED to use is too light! Aha! I know... how about if we also change the font color at the same time? Black text is hard to read on the regular Bloodletting background, but against a bright yellow background black text would be easy to read.
There... this is much easier to read, now isn't it?
<i style="font-style: normal; background-color: yellow; color: black;">There... this is much easier to read, now isn't it?</i>

Text Alignment
Normally you see all text left justified. But hey! You're not reading all this just to be NORMAL, you want people to look at what you write and think "Wow! That person sure isn't doing that like I would have, they must be extra cool or something!"
You can also have your text aligned to the right, or even centered. (I hear it's good to center titles)

This text goes on the right
This text goes in the middle
This text goes on the left
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: right">This text goes on the right</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: center">This text goes in the middle</i>
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; text-align: left">This text goes on the left</i>

Font Style
The biggest problem with the default font style is that it's the same font style you'll see everywhere else! For you this means, using the default font style will leave your profile/forum post/comment/whatever with the same font style as everyone else's font style for all the same things. Sometimes that's fine, but other times you find a font that really seems to highlight the mood you're trying to set.

Now, before you fly off to find the fanciest font you can imagine, keep in mind... If the person looking at your post does not have that same font, it will show up as the default font! Below the example, I've compiled a list of many of the most commonly supported fonts. This does not mean that you have to use one of these fonts, but it simply means you should consider at least having one of these fonts as your backup font in case your first choice isn't supported!

"Backup font?" You ask? Why yes! You can set up a backup font in case the first font isn't supported by someone's computer. In fact you can set up as many backup fonts as you have the patience to list! This way, you can use that super fancy awesome font you found, and not have to worry that it will look plain and dull if someone is missing that font. The list I've included is divided into two parts. The first part is considered "Safe" and should show up properly in any major browser unless the user has changed their settings. These fonts however, you will notice, are remarkably unremarkable. They were all made to be exceptionally average, and universal. That's why I've included a secondary list of MOSTLY safe fonts. These ones have a little more pep to them (most of them anyway) and will show up properly MOST of the time. If you find one you like not on this list, that's fine and feel free to use it! But you might consider listing one or two from this list as a backup.

Sweet Genius! This text looks more epic than normal! For all you typography nerds however, I've set the final backup font to helvetica, so maybe you'll forgive me for using 'papyrus' as my primary font.

<i style="font-style: normal; display: block;font-family: 'papyrus', 'segoe script', 'helvetica';">Sweet Genius! This text looks more epic than normal! For all you typography nerds however, I've set the final backup font to helvetica, so maybe you'll forgive me for using 'papyrus' as my primary font.</i>
NOTE: you don't need to enclose the font name in single quotes unless it is more than one word. Also for best results spell the font name in all lowercase.
Safe Fonts
arial, ARIALarial black, ARIAL BLACKcomic sans ms, COMIC SANS MScourier, COURIERcourier new, COURIER NEWgeorgia, GEORGIAhelvetica, HELVETICAimpact, IMPACTpalatino, PALATINOtimes new roman, TIMES NEW ROMANtrebuchet ms, TREBUCHET MSverdana, VERDANA
Mostly Safe Fonts
century gothic, CENTURY GOTHIClucida console, LUCIDA CONSOLEmonospace, MONOSPACEpapyrus, PAPYRUSmekanik let, MEKANIK LETsegoe script, SEGOE SCRIPTtempus sans itc, TEMPUS SANS ITCmonotype corsiva, MONOTYPE CORSIVA

Font Workshop
Naturally, most of you won't be satisfied only to EITHER make your font bigger, OR change it's color or whatever... you'll want to change the color, the font, and the size all at the same time! Well that's fine! I've included two things below. One is a standard bit of code you can use, that will let you adjust the size, color, and font as you choose. The other one is a hollow tag that you can add to as you see fit from the options below! Beside each option is a short description of what it will do when added to your font style tag.
Universal tag:
Cor blimey mate! So many effects on so few words!
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block; font-size: 20pt; color: red; font-family:'papyrus'; text-align: center;">Cor blimey mate! So many effects on so few words!</i>
Hollow tag: --Use the hollow tag when you need to add in a customized selection of style addons. Just make sure to keep a semi-colon between each of the style modifiers.
<i style="font-style: normal; display: block;"></i>
font-size:12pt;
font-style:normal; (Use this to specify italics bold or underline. The hollow tag includes this already, because without it, you will default to having your text be in italics)
color: red;
color: rgb(255,0,0);
color: #FF0000;
background-color: black; (If you want to highlight your text, remove the 'display: block;' line from your tag. Removing this tag however will prevent the alignment tag from working properly, and can have other side effects as well.)
background-color: rgb(0,0,0); (Same warning goes for all background-color options)
background-color: #000000;
text-align: right;
text-align: center;
text-align: left;
font-family: 'papyrus', 'helvetica';
December 07, 2010 03:30 am

The Dark Chronicle

Picture Formatting
Adding pictures to your posts and profiles can help bring to life your character in a way that cannot be done nearly so easily with words alone. "A picture is worth a thousand words" as they say, and if you look around at profiles the realm over, you'll see tactical use of images can make all the difference in the world.

There are all sorts of ways to use images, and all sorts of ways to put them in your profile. The main differences you will see between the examples I'll be showing are alignment, and whether or not the text wraps around the image. You can even set it so that text will be laid overtop of the image, should that suit your needs.

When inputting the code for an image you need to primarily worry about three things. The image height, and image width, as well as the url of the image itself. The image height and width will be given in pixels. When listing it, you should list it ending with "px" after the number or it will not work properly.

When posting an image, it is best if you make sure the image is hosted on an image hosting site, rather than just copying the url off another website. If you copy the image url off an image hosted on another website, it will use up bandwidth for that site. There are however sites like photobucket and tinypic that allow you to host images for free, and are designed for this purpose. You can create and upload your own images, or upload copies of images taken from elsewhere on the internet so those sites will not have to deal with extra bandwidth draw.

Basic Image
This here is nothing fancy. Instead it is the simplest image code, something that you could use on the fly without having to worry about mucking around in too much fancy formatting. Instead the only things you have to worry about are the image's width, height, and url.

<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 425px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/4rxlbq.png');"></i>

Image Alignment
Nothing too fancy here. Basically the same thing we have above, except you can change where it shows up. Without enabling word wrapping, you will still have a gap in your text from above the image to below it.

<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 421px; background-image:url('http://i56.tinypic.com/29vj2x.png'); margin-right:0px; margin-left: auto; "></i>
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 425px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/4rxlbq.png'); margin-right:auto; margin-left: auto; "></i>
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 437px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/a4ufqx.png'); margin-right:auto; margin-left: 0px; "></i>

Inline images with alignment.
What's that? You want your images and your text to run along side by side, frolicking together through the metaphorical meadows of being read by other players? Turns out you can! And in my opinion, tends to be the preferred choice when you're trying to throw in some images to a profile for flavor.
Unfortunately there is no way to float an image in the center. You'll have to pick either left or right for this option. (There are alternatives, but would require excessive amounts of effort that you probably don't want to have to bother with.)

This text is nothing, it's entirely meaningless in fact! It's just here so you can see how it wraps so effectively around the images here! Isn't that cool?!? I know right?! i mean... OHMIGAWDSRSLY? This is so cool. I could just talk all freakin day long here, but because I don't want to type up a bunch of random nonsense. I'm going to quote some monty python to take up the rest of the space.
...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spoke, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen.
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 421px; background-image:url('http://i56.tinypic.com/29vj2x.png'); float: right; "></i>
<i style="display: block; width:337px; height: 437px; background-image:url('http://i53.tinypic.com/a4ufqx.png'); float: left; "></i>

NOTE: The bit above does not look very pretty, but was just given as an example. You should probably stick to having an image on the left, OR an image on the right, rather than both. If you don want an image on both sides, just do what you can so it doesn't look so crowded and messy.
December 07, 2010 03:31 am

The Dark Chronicle

Advanced Formatting
Whew! Covered a lot so far, but we're not quite done yet. Till now I've showed you all the standard things that are about the metaphorical equivalent of being polite at a dinner party.
"What?" you might ask, "Why in the blazes are you talking about dinner parties?" Truth is, it wasn't the best analogy, but please let me continue. What I'm going to cover now, is how to break, or at least bend... the limitations you've got so far.
Till now, everything you code will be within it's neat little box and will stay where you put it like it should. But what if you want to explode violently out of your little box?! Boom! Kablam! An explosion of Creativity and Awesome! You don't want your profile to just be a bunch of text and a few pictures tossed in on the side, you want your profile to POP. You want people to go to your profile and say "Wow, that's neat! I haven't seen that before!" but not in the way that makes them also want to report you for abuse...

One caution however. You may run into a few unexpected issues if you mess around too much with this coding. As such, I'm going to provide you with a link that may just save your profile.
http://www.bloodletting.org/profiles/bio_update.php
This here is a link to updating your profile. I can tell you on more than one occasion, I've actually covered my "update" button with an image or text so I couldn't physically click the button to update my profile.

You can actually cover up game elements, but generally this is a bad idea. If you cover up menus, then people visiting your profile might not be able to get everywhere they want to, which can be frustrating and take away from their enjoyment of your profile. Also you don't want to cover up the ads, as they support Bloodletting. (Keep in mind, transparent pixels will still prevent you from clicking links)

Customized Highlighting
We covered NORMAL highlighting earlier, but that's a bit harsh and won't fit very well in a roleplay setting. What if you wanted to drop some color behind your text more gently though? No problem! You can put any image you want behind your text and have it run along as long as you like it to. (No, you don't have to use this only for 'shadowy alter ego' stuff. Use it for whatever you want.)
Shadowy alter ego text ACTIVATE!
<i style="background-image: url('http://i54.tinypic.com/2ptpezs.png'); padding-bottom: 5px;">Shadowy alter ego text ACTIVATE!</i>
Now, for those of you that haven't noticed. The image that's behind the text seen above is actually only one pixel wide. This is fine, because it will wrap horizontally for as long as you like, so having it one pixel wide is a nice way to make sure it will load quickly no matter how fast or slow the person looking at your post's internet connection is. You may have to play around a little bit with exactly how tall to make the image you want to run behind your text.

Borders
What? Borders? People in Bloodletting don't use borders on their text and pictures do they? Well who knows! They just might if they knew they could do it... Good for solidifying a block of text off of the main block of text. You can even have your regular text wrap around your boxed text! Maybe do some of that stuff the magazines and newspapers do where they pull up some quote and make it all dramatic...
Well well now, isn't THIS more interesting?!
I'd certainly say it is! IT's all 'POP' and 'Kazaam!' and 'READMENOW'

<i style="font-style: normal; margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto; display: block; border-style:outset; width:400px; border-width:4px; border-color:#FF0000; text-align:center;">Well well now, isn't THIS more interesting?!
I'd certainly say it is! IT's all 'POP' and 'Kazaam!' and 'READMENOW'</i>

It may be of interest to you to know that at this point, you can format this framed box of text the same way you would an image. As you can see, the font is centered inside the box, but you could move the box to the left or the right and the text would still auto-center to the middle of wherever the box was. If you leave out the 'height: ' property, it will automatically format to the number of lines of text you have.
You can change the color of the frame, or the background color inside the frame with ease! Simply add the 'background-color: ' property like in the hilighting guide, and you can change the background color of the entire box.

Now now, isn't this interesting? Look at that!
This whole box is red, and has a red border! This look positively swell!

<i style="font-style: normal; margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto; display: block; border-style:outset; width:400px; border-width:4px; border-color:#FF0000; text-align:center; background-color: red;">Now now, isn't this interesting? Look at that!
This whole box is red, and has a red border! This look positively swell!</i>

There are many different border types, and to make things more interesting, you can make each edge of the border be a different style! You can either name each side specifically, with 'border-top-style' or you can do it all at once. If you list four styles in a row, the first will go to the top side, the second will apply to the right side, then the bottom, and finally the left.
If you only list two styles, the first will apply to the top AND the bottom, the second will apply to the left AND the right.
Top border is 'dotted', right border is 'dashed', bottom border is 'solid' and left border is 'double'
<i style="font-style: normal; margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto; display: block; border-style:dotted dashed solid double; width:400px; border-width:4px; border-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:center;">Top border is 'dotted', right border is 'dashed', bottom border is 'solid' and left border is 'double'</i>
Top border is 'groove', right border is 'ridge', bottom border is 'inset' and left border is 'outset'
<i style="font-style: normal; margin-right: auto; margin-left: auto; display: block; border-style:groove ridge inset outset; width:400px; border-width:4px; border-color:#FF0000; text-align:center;">Top border is 'groove', right border is 'ridge', bottom border is 'inset' and left border is 'outset'</i>

Negative Margins
Negative margins? What's this then?
Did you know when you're naming the margins for your images and text, you can put a negative number in there?! It does just about what you expect it should... Why is that important though? Well, if you want something to pop out of it's confines a little bit, sometimes using a negative margin can help you do that. Be careful though that you don't cover up something important when being so extra creative with your margins.

You'll notice there's a margin-top property in there too... which does what you'd think it does. Puts the image or text UP higher on the page! (With normal formatting though, this just means it'll be covering up the text you had right before it, so be careful when you use it.)

Fixed and Absolute positioning
This I'm afraid is where I must leave you. Due to the nature of Fixed and Absolute coding, I can't really give you a good demonstration here, without affecting all of the posts before now. If you have trouble using fixed or absolute positioning on an image or text, contact one of our designated player contacts listed in our final post here (And if you have half a mind what you're doing, you can volunteer to have your name put on that list) And you can mail one of those players and they can help work out what you want to do.
I'm not going to just leave you hanging like that though, I'll at least give you the tools you need to mess around with these last two gems on your own, should you feel up to it.

position: absolute;
position: fixed;

Those are the properties you need to add to your code in order to apply the fixed or absolute property. There are some important things to take into consideration first though! Absolute positioning will start all the way in the top left of the next level out your code is in. If you are posting in a forum, this means it will automatically start in the top left corner of Bloodletting, over top of the 'Home' button on the menu bar. You must use the 'margin' property to move the image or text down and to the right as you see fit. You can also use the margin to have the image default to the top right of the screen as well, and adjust from that way. However, since the introduction of the tabs between 'Profile' view and 'Blog' view, on profiles using absolute positioning will not default you to overtop of the 'Home' button on the menu, it will default you to just above and to the left of your profile picture on the public profile page. (Tip: If you are using this, be sure to view your profile on Public Profile rather than just on your own profile view, as the images will appear in different locations.)

Fixed positions will always start in the top left corner, where the 'Home' button is on the menu. These images however will, as the name implies, stay fixed in the same position in the background as you scroll up and down. Meaning, the image will ALWAYS be in the background as you scroll up and down the page! (Please don't use this in forums. It could interfere with other people's posts, and just cause general irritation and problems)
The Z-index
Lastly, the z-index is important if you are dealing with all of these features. The z-index determines which images and text goes on top of which other images and text. A z-index of 2 will appear over a z-index of 1. Like before, you can have negative values as well.
If you wish an image to appear BEHIND all Bloodletting elements, give it a z-index of 0, or any negative value. This will make it appear behind any and all bloodletting formatting, buttons, and menus. I have found no way to have your image appear behind some elements but not others. z-index of 1 and higher will appear on top of all Bloodletting images, text, and other formattings.
z-index: 0;
(Use that for the property)
December 07, 2010 03:32 am

The Dark Chronicle

A Final Word
Everything so far I'm afraid is but a part of all you can do with this coding. If I were to give a complete guide to using CSS coding it would take far too much time, and I'm sure very few of you would appreciate that.

For those of you that DO want to learn more and go above and beyond, you can simply search online for some CSS tutorials, or just look up a list of all the CSS properties and play around for yourself to see all the cool things you can do!

As a final step though, I am going to include a list of names of players that have volunteered their services. These people have agreed to help out players who need a little help getting their code working right. Simply send them a mail asking if they can help you, but please be respectful if they cannot assist at the time, and ask someone else on the list.
This is intended for all of you who know what you would LIKE to do, but either have been a bit confused by all this code mumbo jumbo, or can't find the right coding to do what you have in mind.

Alternatively, if you read and understood this for the most part, and would like to volunteer your services to other players who could perhaps use a little help, send me a mail at the Dark Chronicle, and I'll have your name added to this list. Any volunteers would retain the right to turn down requests for help at any time for any reason.

Player Contact List:
Author 42 (Contact via mailing the Dark Chronicle)
More names to be added soon (Sometime around the 15th most likely)

</Author 42's Guide to Coding>

December 07, 2010 03:32 am

Cathrine

Wow....

December 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Nix Wolfwood-Valari

...for serious, Cathrine.  I kinda feel a strong need to go through and fix up my profile now.  Alas, laziness is taking over.  BUT, Author 42, holy crap!  *bows*  Thank you for your service to nerd-kind.

December 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Aelita Luminescence

Woo! I'm so impressed...

Ok,I got a doubt: How to add videos...'-'

December 15, 2010 09:02 am

Anark

Wow this is incredible!

December 16, 2010 12:10 pm

The Dark Chronicle

@Aelita

This isn't actually a coding thing, so I dunno if I should add it (probably will anyways though, next time I do an update)

Go to your profile (not the public version, the one you go to to update and such) then go to "Account Info"

from "Account Info" click "Update"

From this page below the place where you put the link to your profile picture, you'll see a little blip about youtube videos. Keep in mind you can ONLY post a youtube video if you are a paying member, or if DK has allowed it for a short period of time, like he's done before. It will not even show up otherwise.

Below the blurb about youtube is another box simmilar to the one you post the URL for your profile pic in. Copy the link of the youtube video you want... Then paste it inside this box. THEN, and this is important, remove everything but the last alpha numeric part of the link. or as DK has posted with the place you post youtube videos:

1. Select the video
  2. Click 'Share' under the video
  3. Copy the complete URL, it looks like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyL08nhtkw (just this part rgyL08nhtkw)
  4. Paste it below

@Alita question #2, go ahead and use the font. Set a backup font though (where you put the font name, just put a comma and another font name) and then the second font will only be used if the viewer's computer cannot read the first font. Chances are most people will have it, hard to say for sure.

January 07, 2011 12:25 am

Reagan Redd

The suddenness of the Ninja Turtle made me laugh. Hard. January 07, 2011 09:26 am

Sakura Amarante

Wow...this all sadly makes me feel very computer retarded.. *Sniffle*

September 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Raki

I need to know what type of codeing this format is called.

November 13, 2011 08:28 pm

Alexei Scott

This kind of coding is called CSS, its normally used as "Cascading Style Sheets" and used to store web page format templates. The powers that be decided to enable that as opposed to straight html coding for various reasons (a few of which I can guess) November 30, 2011 12:27 am

Nicci

bump!

May 07, 2012 04:58 am
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
Actives (10) Fresh Blood (2) View All The Fallen (1) Graveyard
Cristina Scabbia, Khellen, Remi Rose, Maeve, Vanna Petruska, W_Kat, Autumn Summers, Beau Theroux, Idris Mowbry, Mallory Quarters  Vanna Petruska
_Aurora_ 
Dead Girl 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page