Current Time: 03:19 pm EST

The Ultra-Newbies "What do I do NOW???!?!" Beginners Guide:

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
  Creator Post Date

StormWolfKymarah

So, ya registered, and have now found yerself plopped right smack-dab in the middle of the most conflustering game you've ever seen, and the FAQ's thingy looks more like Wall-O-Text, and yer afraid yer eyes may stick in that crossed position for weeks now...

Not to worry, dear Newblet. Help as arrived. Or Complete and Utter Confusion, depending on who ya ask 'round here...

Ok, first...some basics, like terms and stuff we use here:

*First off...this is a "text-based" game. You can't "go c ur dood fite", or customize an avatar. Your profile offers a spot to add an image, and you can code in other images. More on that later, and theres a really good guide for codes and such in the Help Forum.
*You can't join a Crew til yer 24 hours old. And, it's by Crew Invite only...meanin'...you can't just go staple a "Hey, lemme in, pweeeze?!?" flier on their front door...Ya actually gotta get to know peeps, and use yer networking skilz to get into a Crew. Dun worry though...ya dun NEED a Crew til ya hit Rank 7, and wanna progress to 8.
*Yup, no "Experience Bar". Ranking is a bit of a mystery here in the Realm. It's intended to be. So, no whinin' about how "lame" that is. The Elders have a reason for it, and its part of the game play.
*This is a game of patience. There is no "Best Players in the Realm" leaderboard. There are only 20 Ranks, and they are meant to be progressively harder to achieve. And no, you can't "buy your way to the top", either.
*Role Playing is a major factor in The Realm. You don't have to role play, just as you dun have to do the clicky-stuff like searches and crimes and such. It's all up to you how you want to run your character.

IC= In Character. Done from your Characters perspective. Stuff like mails and forum posts made in RP threads are done "IC", unless specified as "OOC".
OOC= Out Of Character. What you, the player, write, from your own perspective.
The Realm= What we call this world.
RP= Role Play. What your character does...interacting with, and talking to, other characters, etc.

What to do first ingame:
*Vote. This will get you some much-needed Blood Money.
*Play around with the upper menu. The ones with lil "down" arrows have a drop down menu, as well as the top option.
*Go to the City Life menu link, then in the drop-down, click on Forbidden City. Pay the tribute. You get one (or 2 for a Donator) per day. When you have 100 or more, pay the cash to go up to the Forbidden City and search. Good stuff up there. But, no worries for now...it'll take ya a few weeks to get 100+ searches.
*Go to City Life, then City Search. Ok, this part is a bit more difficult, and since ya dun even have gear yet, the Encounters are pretty much gonna make paste of ya fer a bit. Not to worry...even losses add to your stats. Dun run from the Lil Snot...erm, I mean, Little Girl. Yeah, she's gonna stomp the bejezzus outta ya. Just go to the clinic and pay a couple Blood Money bucks to heal, and get out there again. However, when you find a Standard Shield and/or Basic Sword, you'll want to get those bad boys equipped ASAP. To do that, go to Profile, and click the Main Profile menu link. Once there, you will find 4 tabs: "Character Profile", "Item Inventory", "Blog Management", "Account Info", and "Donations". Yup...you want "Item Inventory". This is where yer gonna equip stuff.
*Ok, so...ya got all'a yer searches done, and now yer limpin' around, wonderin' how such a cute lil kid could whoop yer buhonkus so soundly. Well...stop ponderin'. Tis just "one'a them things" here. Get used t' it...she does that a lot. Now what? Well...

*Crimes, steals and attacks: Yup...yer gonna fail at these at first. A LOT. But like I said afore, even failures add to yer stats behind the scenes. Just keep swimmin'...hmmm...did you just see a singing blue fish swim by?

*Shakes head and continues*

Ok, so...yer just about fed up to -here- with landin' yer sorry buhonkus in the slammer every 3 minutes, and the first person ya attacked added more bruises to yer already black and blue-ness, so NOW what? Ah, time to check out the forums, and mebbeh even find a nice thread to RP in. But wait...yer new to role-playing? Never fear...we all were at some point. Just head over to the "Help & Links" drop down, and check out the Role Playing F.A.Q.'s. I dun think I can put it any easier here, sorry.

One itty bitty point about mails. While they are an excellent way to get to know yer fellow Realm citizens, and starting an IC RP, I'd personally recommend not starting an opening IC "scene" that puts the recipient of your well-intentioned mail anywhere. It's a common complaint around here that someone opens a mail, and suddenly finds they've been transported to the park, laundromat, yogurt shop, dark alley, live taping of Barney, etc...and it can tend to make some people a bit...cranky. This is a delicate conundrum however, as you have to "meet" them somehow. This is where profiles can often offer helpful clues. If in doubt, just read the forums for a bit, and get to know the various people here in the Realm.

Well...that should get ya started, and it's by no means a complete guide...just a lil somethin' to get ya on yer way.

Peace, love an' rocketfuel,
Stormy

((Disclaimer: Author not responsible for lost luggage, missing body parts, malfunctioning gear, acts of Nature or the Deity of your choosing, or failure to perform. Some restrictions apply. Not valid on days ending in "y". May contain nuts.))
April 19, 2011 08:11 pm

Fleta

aww help me stormy-won kenobi, you're my only hope!

Nice of you to help the new people out.  I'm sure they'll be grateful to you, even if they never tell you.

Don't forget to mention to people that you don't magically get into their home or know them without agreement. Some people like to send mails that basically put them with you talking like you know them for some reason. I've seen people get more than a little hurt doing this. We need to think of the poor new people, save them from people chewing on them literally and metaphorically.

Plus one more point of my own. This isn't a game to race your way up ranks and get out "ahead." People roleplay and do far more than play "rcae you to the top," so people shouldn't get frustrated or upset they don't rank fast here. Enjoy the pace and conversations you can have. Some people in this realm are excellent writers and I've been honoured to write with them at times.

April 20, 2011 12:21 am

StormWolfKymarah

*Waves hand in a vague sweeping motion*

This is not the forum you were looking for...

*Hangs head in shame and holds out my Nerd Card*

I know, I know...lame.

But, yeah...good point about the Home Invasion thing. I think its safe to assume that everyone knows about garlic and semi-automatic rifles that fire hollow bullets filled with Holy Water. And I dunno 'bout you, but my luck? I'd waltz right into the only living room in the entire Realm belonging to a chihuahua affecionado. 

*Shudders at the thought of all those ankle-biters*

And yup...this isn't a "I can beat everyone in a week" kinda game. It's more about a rounded character development, and staying the course...

April 20, 2011 01:04 am

Fleta

*grins and offers up her nerdy dork girl card* Guilty too. It's ok, I've heard worse

*nods* I think people all know some home owners are a lot more.. grissly than others. I don't want new people trying really hard to be socialble and accidentally getting chewed up and spit out by walking into the wrong home *hides her ninja chi wowows* 

I think the best way to be in game is to go slow and work it up, sure we all hit those spots where we'd sell our family recipe for good booze or a crew member  to get to the next level. But I've seen, like was all have, folks who come here and in less than a month they get upset they're not rank 8 or something. It's a game based on roleplaying and interactions. It's not click and win.

April 20, 2011 01:21 am

Killian

I'm gonna put this here to save it fcfrom auto delete

May 13, 2011 01:18 pm

StormWolfKymarah

Thankies, Killian...

I was gonna add another chapter to this, but I'm not really sure what Newbies struggle with nowdays....so if ya have any topic suggestions or questions, I guess here'd be a good a place as any to put 'em...

June 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Killian

I do have a few ideas which I'll throw over once I got caffeine...

Or idea, split into a few sections

June 09, 2011 04:50 am

Jason Nightshade

Um..I can't seem to find this anywhere. How does one add friends?

June 13, 2011 01:40 am

StormWolfKymarah

What...the Friend Fairy hasn't given you your friends yet? Geesh...she's prolly drunk off her buhonkus, passed out in some alley. Again...

Ok...actually, see the top bar menu? See where it says Profile, and theres a lil down arrow next to it that will drop down a menu? Ignore the drop downs. Click on Profile, right there on the menu bar. You'll be taken to the inner workings of yer Profile. At the top of the profile area will be a few tabs...Inventory is where you go to equip your gear, Donations is where you go to activate Donator Packs, etc. Scroll down to Where it says Friends (Add / Remove), and click on the "Add" part. You'll need to know the name of the person yer adding...I recommend simply going to their public profile and copypastaing to avoid misspellings and such. Anyhow...pasta their name into the field, click "Add", then wait for them to approve. There ya go.
June 13, 2011 02:49 am

StormWolfKymarah

Ok...so, yer still here? Kewl. The chaos and confuzzlement hasn't chased ya off, but yer still pretty lost, right?

The next problem most new players experience is that of the actual Role Play environment here. Here's where things can get a bit tetchy. Everyone has their own way of writing...their own style. And everyone has opinions on how everyone else should write.

First person: Writing from your characters perspective. Uses "I" and "me/my" when refering to your characters actions..."I looked at the bloody sword in my hand..."

Third person: Writing as if you, the player, are observing and recording your characters actions and thoughts..."She looked at the bloody sword in her hand...".

There is also a variation to the "Third Person", popularized in old-skool chatroom RPs, that uses what some people consider an awkward phrasing, but others insist is "proper" RP form. I'm not sure what it's called, but it involves using the words "would", "as if to", and such...goes a bit like this:

"He raised his arm as if he would block the other mans punch..."
Or
"She would hold out her hand as if to take the childs hand..."

I personally find this style too "clunky" and unnatural, choosing instead to write in "first person" for Stormy, "third person" for Ro and Marah, and "first person plural" when Stormy and Ro are "melded" together...which is much like using the Royal "We", but is two separate entities blended into a unique third. I dun use that much, mainly due to the sheer confusion it tends to cause.

However, some people prefer the more formal RP style, so use whatever yer most comfy with. You'll find that RPing tends to be much easier if yer using something that feels more natural to you, no matter what style it might be.

Ok...now for some "meat and bones" of RPing. Once you've decided a style, theres a few things ya need to bear in mind. A good reply should include a couple of things:

For yer first post in a thread, it's usually a good idear to describe a bit about yer character...not so much how he or she looks...since that should be in yer profile...but what they're wearing, and any other details you feel the readers of the thread should know...like hair style change, new tat, the mole on yer chin that sprouted over night, etc. Unless something changes in yer characters appearance or wardrobe during the progression of the thread, it's not necessary to repeat such details in following posts.

The next thing that you should bear in mind is that there are certain things that should be in nearly every post you make. Yer posts should give the next person enough to run with, and should include a bit of description of what your character sees, is doing and thinking, etc. A sentence or two is fine. Dialogue, when appropriate, is also a really good idear, but seriously, NO ONE-LINERS!!

*Having entered the smoky bar, I made my way to the bar, looking for an empty stool. The clientele was the usual: roughs, toughs and barflies, but I was here to meet a contact. After ordering a drink, I casually turn on my stool, my Timetracers cutting through the smoky haze, looking for the tell-tale organic 'Tracers of the carnation my contact said he'd be wearing in his lapel. Oh, yeah, like that wouldn't look out of place in a dive like this. Catching the flash of yellow-pink that indicated the flower in question, tucked in the back corner table, I pay for my drink and leave my barstool, moving casually to the back of the place, as I was going to play the jukebox near his table.*

"Hey, whats a well dressed stiff like you doin' in a place like this?"

*I ask him without taking my attention from the display of the jukebox. Of course, the ink on the paper under the glass display was so old I couldn't begin to read the faded organics in the ink, but I didn't need to. I'd memorized the song list long ago. Besides, I wasn't here for the music. Picking a song at random, I drop my coin in, and then turn to the man at the corner table.*

Ok...in the above example, we have pretty much all the basics of a good intro post...your characters actions, impressions of the scene around you, a bit of your characters thoughts, and some opening dialogue. Also, note the "*'s" to indicate "action", as upposed to your characters dialogue. You can use any sort of symbol you like...I've seen various indicators, such as ~, -, ~*, =, +, }{ (for fairy or angel wings, I think?) and )0( (presumably for the threefold goddess or the Wiccan symbol). Be creative if you want, or just do what most of us do, and use the asterik (*) symbol to separate out your actions from your words. Some people don't use any action separators, but are careful to then use quotation marks for dialogue. This makes it easy for readers to know whats action, and whats words. And, for the love of donuts, use your words...no ch4t5p34k...and capitalize the personal "I". Oh...and, pleasepleaseplease...ya know those funny things that look like dots and go at the end of sentences?? USE THEM!! Comma's are real good, too. In fact, all punctuation is really appreciated...things like question marks, and even ellipses (The 3-dot thingies I'm rather fond of).

Ok...thats the posting part. Now on to a few other important pointers.

First, unless a persons thoughts are clearly said "out loud", your character cannot know their thoughts. Don't assume, and do not...nevernevernever...unless you have prior permission, EVER "bunny" someone elses character. Another big no-no is a new character who has superubergodmod moves. Uh, no. We here in the Realm give great respect to the Rank system, because this -is- an integrated Realm. If a character is of higher rank than you, chances are, they will beat yer buhonkus from one end of the bar/arena/shopping mall to the other, and not break a sweat. You CANNOT win (unless you've made prior plot arrangements, of course.). Now, a bit of an exception to this would be, if their character is your rank or even lower, but they're older, they -might- actually have higher stats than your character. In that case, you could actually use a method I've used in the past: Attack them 3 times...best of 3 is the better fighter.

Bunnying: Moving or causing anothers character to be moved. "I shoved him hard on the chest, making him fall down. Standing over him, I pour thousands of volts of electricity through his body...". See that? BIG GIANT no-no. Never, ever, EVER, cause another persons character to act. You must always give them a way to counter-move. "I shoved him hard on the chest, as if to push him down, while drawing in electricity to zap him with...". See how that leaves the other character open to counter-move, while still letting them know what I intend? They can either go with it, or evade the shove.

Another important thing here in the Realm is the respect due to the Crew Leadership. Ya know those guys and gals who's names are in gold? Yeah...those are Sanctuary and Coven Leaders. Diss them, and you just might find yer name listed in the Bounty Office. They've worked hard here in the Realm, and have earned the respect. Of course, the Leadership also includes their Confidantes (Crew Second in Command), but since there's no real way of knowing who they are unless they clearly state it in their own profiles, or you happen to be IN their Crew, it's understood that some accidents may happen. The lesson here is...be respectful of everyone, 'cause ya never really know who might be in a position to make your stay here brief, or be close to someone who can.

Ok, if yer now afraid to even sneeze funny, dun be. All I'm talking about here is common sense, and giving those who've worked hard and earned it, the respect they are due. When you've been here as long as some of us have been, you too will have earned respect, just as all of us before you have had to do. As to RPing ...its a practiced art, not one ya just..."have". ALL of us had to start out as newbs, and had to work on refining our RP style.
June 17, 2011 03:46 am

Killian

Holy wall of text Stormy, I think this ought to be mandatory reading for everyone....AND I MEANS EVERYONE! It's a wall o'text ya, but...it's amazing...Can I copies it and credit you in a blog please?

Okays, now for the respect thing, I'd go so far as to say be nice to anyone in a crew, heck, anyone in general AGAIN, no dissing people for having a funny name, and no OOC dissing, as that is bad, got it?

Always, ALWAYS, save your work in Notepad too, timely hint

June 20, 2011 02:30 am

StormWolfKymarah

Sorry 'bout Teh Wall-O-Text...

And go for it...if it helps more Newblet's get to know their way around, it's all good.

My next post will be a checklist...well, 2 checklists really. The first being the "What to do right after registering and logging in", and the other will be a checklist of what to do on a daily basis. Hopefully that will help new players get a bit more organized, and not forget important stuff that can be totally forgotten when ya first start out.

As always, anyone who has questions, ask here. Ideas for what should be included in upcoming posts, shoot me a PM...that way we can keep the posts here less cluttered and stick to the subject. *Gasp!* Us, stay on subject?!? I know, right??

June 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Warren Michaels

seems easy enough. Thanks for the help here.

June 22, 2011 08:00 pm

Killian

Daily checklist ought to help everyone though.....I know I can't ever stick to mine at all....I'll throw my ideas over

June 23, 2011 06:00 am

StormWolfKymarah

Ok...short-n-sweet...a couple lil checklists to keep ya truckin':

To do first thing when ya start playing:
Vote
Searches
Equip any gear found
Buy a Familiar and a Minion ASAP
Work on Bio
Read the forums
Use your Forbidden City Tributes

Dailies:
Vote
Daily Tributes in Forbidden City
Searches
Minion Battles
1 attack
4 theft attempts or 1 theft success
5 crimes
Dungeon Breaks when possible

A quick word about the Tributes: You get 1 a day, or 2 for Donators. Use them daily, or lose them. Just pay the tribute, and you will receive 2-9 Forbidden City Searches. Wait until you have accumulated about 100 or so Searches before paying the fee to be ferried to the Forbidden City to Search. Some people mistakenly think they have to Search every day. Nope, just gotta pay the Tributes every day, or ya lose them for that day is all.

Also, remember: This Realm has a culture, and a social structure...which includes paying proper respect to Leaders and those who have been in the Realm longer than yourself. In other words, a 3 week old rank 3 or 4 really has no place or business telling a rank 12 or 13 or a Leader what to do or how to do it.

And, as always, never be afraid to ask questions.
June 23, 2011 07:23 am
1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
Actives (29) Fresh Blood (0) View All The Fallen (4) Graveyard
Taylor Ainsworth , -Gabriel-, Mona Marie, Murhasta Kuolemaa, Spring Taylor, Dimitri, Ryuugo Mikoto, Seraphina, Syrenity, Betty Cooper, Poe Dameron, Ofelia Salazar, Kevin Pearson, Black Cat, Abel Morales, Cameal Ham, Jack Pearson, Fall, Kate Pearson, Prince John, L A Doneoven, Cheryl Blossom, En Sabah Nur, Nick Clark, Orangesrlife, Beth Pearson, Randall Pearson, Llewyn Davis, Delouis Whamchest    Kenshin Himura
Dat Boi
Jughead Jones
Verlanis 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger1 | Blogger2 | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page