Current Time: 07:31 am EDT

Interview with Felicia Tatum

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1 | 2 | Next
  Creator Post Date

Zeddicus Zorander

Since Bloodletting is a writing site, we have lots of people here who are interested in writing their own stories. Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring authors?
--Write what is in your heart. If you truly want to be a writer, don’t let fear stop you. I’m scared every single day, but I love it so much that I keep on. The rewards are far greater than the fear.

When did you start writing?
--When I was 12! I remember sitting in history class writing in a notebook instead of payingattention.

What made you decide to publish your book?
--A few dreams…one about the actual book, and more where I was an author. I felt like it was what I was supposed to do.

What motivates you to write?
--My daughter. I want to be able to stay home with her after I finish grad school and writing would allow that.

Do you ever feel frustrated with your work?
--Yes. I feel particularly frustrated when my characters don’t cooperate like they should!

What makes you keep writing when you get frustrated?
--I yell at my characters and keep on. It eventually calms down.

How do you get over writer's block?
--Well…I don’t actually get “writer’s block”…more like I’m lazy and just don’t want to drown out all the noise to write. I make myself do it. Close myself up in the bedroom and just let the words flow.

How do you handle negative reviews of your books?
--I haven’t actually had a “negative” review…yet. I’m preparing myself by realizing that everyone won’t love my work. And that’s ok. I don’t love all the books out there (but oh how I wish I did!), so I can’t expect everyone to love mine.

There's a lot of distractions around, especially with social media, how do you block it all out and write?
--Write or Die! It’s a great program that will beep loudly at me and lock the screen so I can’t go back and forth. I’m so glad I found it. Before I discovered it, I would flip between my MS and facebook :/ Bad writer *raises hand*

What do you enjoy, outside of writing?
--Reading, spending time with my daughter, and watching movies. Oh, and singing badly. I’m really good at that.

What's something about you that most people don't know?
--Hmm…I cry a lot. Most people don’t know that. (Now they do)

What is the chance of you including a platypire in one of your upcoming books?
--I feel like I should know what this is. Is it a platypus vampire? Like Perry?

Have you ever had to rewrite portions of a book because the characters decided to be someone else than you intended?
--Kind of! I haven’t completely changed a character, but I have had to go way against my original plans cause the character take over.

Where do you come up with the names for your stories?
--Some come to me in dreams, the others from www.babynames.com.

There are five races on Bloodletting: Angel, Slayer, Vampire, Witch, and Werewolf. Which would you pick?
--Vampire! Neck biting = sexy

Do you have any excerpts from any of your books (published and WIPs) that you'd like to share with us?
--Sure! I’ll give one from The White Aura and one form The Vessel

The White Aura
I was outside. The moon was high and glowing. There were trees all around.

This was a new location. I looked around for Mr. Sexy…but I couldn’t see him anywhere because it was too dark. I realized this place was familiar. Wait…I was in the field I was daydreaming about earlier. The soft green grass is silk between my toes. There were yellow daisies everywhere. Trees lined the perimeter. I felt like I was in a box. I wore only shorts and a camisole, but I wasn’t cold. The wind blew just enough to ruffle my hair. “Hello?” I called timidly. I was answered with complete silence. Not even the birds were chirping. I glanced around and walked forward. My arms wrapped around the front of me, not for warmth but comfort. I knew I was dreaming, but this was still kind of scary.

There was a deer to my left, simply watching me. She was beautiful and majestic. She came towards me the moment I wished I could pet her. My hand slowly reached out and touched her course coat. Huge brown eyes looked into mine. There was no fear.

“You’re lovely,” I whispered.

“So are you,” a deep voice said from behind me.

I turned violently, scaring the deer off into the trees. Mr. Sexy was standing five feet in front of me. Jeans and a fitted white t-shirt clothed his fit body.

“You’re here.”

“Of course I am, where else would I be?”

“I thought…well, I wasn’t sure if this was our dream or just mine.”

“It’s ours Livvie. It’s ours. Always ours.”

The Vessel:

They left and we were finally able to talk. J took a can of soda and an apple from the kitchen on her way out the back door. We stepped out into the blazing sunlight. The warmth heated my skin. I closed my eyes, pressing my face upward to drink in the vitamin D. The rays trailed over my exposed neck, arms, and legs. I sighed, relaxing. I’d been locked up for far too long, and I desperately missed being outside.

I cracked my lids to see Juniper watching me with a smile on her face. I lowered my face, and asked, “What?”

She shook her head, laughing. “Nothing. You’re just really enjoying that sunshine, Liv.”

“I’ve missed it,” I exclaimed, bouncing over to sit with her. The snack and drink were placed in front of me, and I stared at her quizzically.

“I don’t eat much anymore. Thought you might be hungry.”

“J…you have to tell me everything that’s been happening. Like…what can you do? You have powers and stuff, right?”

“I guess…I haven’t really tried much,” she said, a gleam in her eye that told me that wouldn’t be true for long.

“Well…I haven’t either, now that you mention it.” I bit my lip, smiling widely. I nodded my head, and we both jumped up, racing out to her backyard. She won, of course. She stood in the middle of the grass before I was even down the steps. I anxiously hurried towards her, curious about what abilities we both had acquired. “You first.”

She looked around checking for nosy neighbors, then ran around the yard in a blur. She stopped in front of me, lifting me effortlessly. I squealed because I wasn’t expecting it. My feet found their way back to the ground, and J grinned. She flexed her muscles, though there wasn’t much to show. I laughed at her display.

“That’s all I can do…besides only eating every few days and not really sleeping
anymore,” she shrugged, like those abilities weren’t much.

“Uh, J…that’s kind of awesome! So far, all I know is I have those visions when I touch humans, I can apparently do a variation of Scott’s dream walking, and I can create fire.”

“Hmm…well, see if you can move things.”

“Ok…how?” I asked with a laugh.

She shrugged again, “I dunno. Mark just kind of looks at something and it moves.”

“Worth a shot, I suppose.” My eyes surveyed the space, looking for something that I could attempt to move. I spotted a Frisbee tucked away in a bush at the edge of the yard. I concentrated on it, trying to will it to move with my mind. I laughed in my head at how ridiculous this was.

“You aren’t doing it right, Liv. You have to focus.”

“Ok, ok.”

I tried again. I closed my eyes, picturing only the Frisbee. The roundness, the color, the location. I imagined it flying into my hand. And that’s when I felt it. I peeked down, and there it was. The plastic toy had found its way to my fingers. I gasped and jumped up and down, grasping J’s arm in excitement. “I moved it, J! I really did it,” I shockingly said.

“That was awesome. Try something else,” she urged.

“Like…?”

“I don’t know…flying or something,” she suggested playfully.

I rolled my eyes at her, moving around to think more clearly. I wandered in a circle, concentrating when I heard a collision. I turned to see Juniper’s face looking guilty and shocked. “What was that?” I questioned.

“I kind of kicked that rock…” she said, pointing to a medium size rock lying beside the tree on the other side of her lawn.

“And took out half the tree?” I yelled, rushing over to inspect her damage.

“Crap. Mom is gonna be so pissed,” she muttered, her hand squeezing her temple.

Leaning down, I placed my hand on the tree, allowing my fingers to trail over the splintered wood. There was a dent where the bark had broken off. A very noticeable dent. I caressed the tree, mumbling how sorry I was to it when I heard J behind me, “Ummm….”

I turned quickly, wondering what in the heck had happened now. “What is it, J?”

“The tree…it’s…it’s growing back where you touch it, Liv,” she said, astonished.

For those of you who like to win FREE STUFF:
http://bloodlettingrpg.blogspot.com/2013/05/felicia-tatum-interview.html
May 09, 2013 01:04 am

Necrilis

Interesting bits, I actually want to read the vessel after reading this interview! May 09, 2013 02:39 am

Fera Stillborn

I see nothing but great things coming from you!! Especially since so many things already have. :)

May 09, 2013 02:40 am

Nix Valari

I've only read The White Aura so far (really liked it!), but I have The Vessel and I look forward to reading it! May 09, 2013 02:40 am

Lisbeth Salander

Your interview has peaked my interest on The White Aura. I think I might have to read it now. 

May 09, 2013 02:52 am

Livia Vlcek

Write or Die? I need this. Both books sound great. White Aura sounds eerie...I like it.

May 09, 2013 03:35 am

Dark0men

Looks interesting.

May 09, 2013 07:04 am

Miah Michelle

I can not wait to get my paycheck so I can get my hands on something that sounds so great to read.  Keep up the good work.

May 09, 2013 07:51 am

Nathaniel Wolfwood

Great Interview. I'll take a look at the books when I gets a chance.

May 09, 2013 09:05 am

Moon Fyre

Great interview.  Can't wait to read her books.

May 09, 2013 09:50 am

Araignee Venimeuse

After reading the author's comments and seeing what a cute sence of humor she has, I'm sure that even the serious parts of the books will be very amusing! 

I enjoyed the excerpts of each book immensely .  Thank you for sharing your work !

May 09, 2013 11:46 am

Lenny Shultz

Great interview, might even look for her books! May 09, 2013 04:21 pm

Bree Ravencroft

*shakes fist* My TBR pile just grew... again.

Awesome interview and I too def need 'Write or Die'

May 09, 2013 07:08 pm

EtaineNightBreed

Awesome Interview

May 09, 2013 07:09 pm

Jocelyn Howard

Souds awesome! 

Can't wait to check it out!

May 10, 2013 03:52 am
1 | 2 | Next
Actives (27) Fresh Blood (2) View All The Fallen (4) Graveyard
Katarina Valentine, Abigail Walker, Miryam, Frankie Sonder, Randall Pearson, Abel Morales, Dutchies Prize, Betty Cooper, Coyote Sonder, Kevin Pearson, Prince John, Ella Orlav V, Cheryl Blossom, En Sabah Nur, Wolfgang Bogdanow, Jughead Jones, Jack Pearson, Robert Sonder, Kate Pearson, Llewyn Davis, Kingston Donovan, Veronica Lodge, Poe Dameron, Orangesrlife, Archie Andrews, Beth Pearson, Juliet Swan  Phantasm
Taylor Ainsworth 
Nomi Marks
Jack Russell
Isidore Thornheart
Viktor Stein 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger1 | Blogger2 | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page