Current Time: 02:23 pm EDT

Take me back

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1
  Creator Post Date

Quinn Abernathy

'Gideon, I can't. I can't do it. I can't do this.'

Quinn's tearful insecurities had been whispered out the morning of the sacrifice between quiet sobs. She'd spent this emotional time tucked safely in Gideon's grasp, lamenting and mourning, in a thick cloud of denial. It had been a terrible morning, and only Gideon had been able to console her. He had gifted her with strength, reminding her kindly of what is at stake.

The walk to the platform had been long. Gideon played his part, smiling that charming grin that had won her over almost a year ago. Quinn, at the ten week mark of her pregnancy, gripped his hand tightly. Her cheeks were flushed pink, gaze almost glassy from constant exhaustion and eyes puffy from crying for hours that morning. She tried her best.

Truly, she did.

Evelyn had asked her to wear her wedding dress, a simply white dress that the younger girls had made for her. And she did, for the last time.

It would now hang out of sight, stained with blood.

The sight of the old woman, arms tied to two posts, would never escape her. Even now, it haunts her, giving her nightmares every night that cause her to wake up in a mess of whimpers and tears.

Once upon the stage, Gideon handed her the blade, closing her hand around the hilt with a soft touch. Despite his concern, she could also see the excitement in his gaze. While he was electrified, she was crushed.

He did the talking as she stood beside Evelyn. Gideon addressed the crowd, and she remained silent. She tried to find her happy place. Quinn searched for ways to bring her out of reality and somewhere else, where she would not be truly subjected to this torture. But there was nowhere in her mind to provide such a thing, and she had been forced to focus.

Gideon had instructed her on what to do, walking her through the steps again and again until she was able to recite his direction word for word. If quizzed, Quinn would now be able to give the steps to the entire sacrifice, along with their significance.

At the other side of the stage, John would watch with a twisted smirk, waiting for her to fail.

Quinn took no pleasure in what had come next.

Back to the followers, she met Evelyn's wizened gaze.

Several moments of silence passed, and she could feel the crowd behind her start to get restless. They wanted blood. They wanted to see their Messenger do her job.

'It's not too late..'

Quinn had whispered those words to Evelyn, who merely smiled at her before giving the slightest nod. Tears had threatened to fall once more, and she glanced at Gideon. She would think of him, and their child. She wants to reach out for him, and hide once more within him, but she cannot.

They started whispering. Quinn had heard them all, questions and suspicions floating through the air.

'Quinn.' It was Evelyn who quietly called her to attention.

She raised the knife, hand shaking and knuckles white, and stepped forward. In her head, she envisioned their house in Wyoming. The garden, the fields of sunflowers, the books that would line whole walls. The porch they would sit on as they watched their child play in the open country. She thought of the fireplace that would gently crackle as they read together.

And, as her mind had been elsewhere, she exhaled.

She reached forward, pushing the blade into the left side of Evelyn's stomach and pulled it across to the right using both hands. The woman seemed fine, even as Quinn pulled the knife away and dropped it to the ground, her hands suddenly just as weak as they were bloodied. The bowl was placed to catch her blood, and as she watched it pool, she began to sway where she stood. Blinking hard, she had tried to fight back the dizzy spell,

Quinn had taken a step back from Evelyn, heart racing.

’Giddy…’

His name escaped her in a whisper, weak and fearful. She could feel her mind cracking, and as her vision blurred, he was there to steady her. Quinn still isn’t sure what had followed, but Mary was fast there upon the stage, a chair procured, and she was led to it gently by the woman and told to sit. She was given water, and Mary had stayed with her as she watched on.

Later, she would tell the Flock that she had been having dizzy spells for about a week. It would help them, too, as the Flock would then see her sister’s presence as a necessity.

She tried, and Gideon had finished the job.

Everything went according to the first ritual, and she watched on as Gideon sipped Evelyn’s lifesource from the far too familiar chalice. He stepped up to her, and Quinn stared up at him, knowing full well that all could see her. The cup had been placed into her hands, water taken, and Gideon did not need to tell her what to do. She already knew.

Despite the furious churning within her stomach, Quinn sipped. His life depended on her to do so, as did the life she harbored then and now. Despite her failings, she could only hope at that time that her efforts made him proud.

What came next, had been unexpected.

Gideon’s expert hand picked up the knife. He carried out the rest of the sacrifice, and as Evelyn’s breathing became shallow, he reached into the Elder. Quinn had seen him do such a thing before, but not here. Not with Claire.

But soon he held something in his hand, and she watched as the blood dripped from it, down his arm.

Evelyn’s heart.

Whatever Gideon had said from thereon, was lost to her. The world was suddenly bright. Brighter than it had been. And a shrill, piercing ringing that was constant in pitch filled her mind. Quinn had watched as he held the heart out for all to see, and they rejoiced as Quinn felt herself feel sicker. When it couldn’t possibly get worse, it did, for Gideon did what she would never be able to forget.

The muscle was lifted to the very lips she had kissed countless times. The ones that, once upon a time, formed his pet name for her. Mi alma.

’No.’

The word would leave her quietly several times over, muted by the crowd of cheers as her husband bit into the still-warm heart and swallowed that morsel whole. A line had been crossed, and Quinn could only stand and force her feet to carry her away. Off the stage, away from the crowd. She had barely made it home before the sobs overcame her. She didn’t leave again that day. She ignored the knocks and concerned words of Mary at the front door. She moved herself upstairs, finding her way to Malachi’s old bedroom, and sat against the wall she had spent the night beside before their wedding.

Quinn did not leave that night. She did not leave the next day. Barely a word was spoken to anyone outside the classroom, and even then, it has been limited.

And now, at twelve weeks pregnant, she is more withdrawn than she ever has been.
May 06, 2018 05:01 pm

Gideon Abernathy

Sunday.

Despite his drunken escapade from the night before, he rises with the sun. The constant pounding in his head serves as an unnecessary reminder, as does the heavy sadness that has taken hold. Quietly as he can, he removes himself from the bed, careful not to disturb his sleeping wife.

He slips into the bathroom, stopping only when he’s face to face with his reflection. Dark hues immediately find the gash on his face, neatly stitched up, and he reaches up to trace a light finger over the threads. That familiar voice echoes in his aching head, threatening to pitch him forward into the sink. I’ll have to kill you… With a jerk, he turns the cold water on and splashes his face. While it proves effective in shocking him more awake, it does nothing to push the unwanted thoughts from his head. Nor does a hot shower.

Resigning himself, he forces his feet to carry him down the stairs and into the kitchen. The coffee maker is the first thing to catch his eye, and he can think of nothing that sounds better in that moment. As the coffee brews, he sets about making breakfast, feeling undeniably guilty for what he put his pregnant wife through the night before. There is no doubt in his mind that Quinn didn’t drag him up to bed by herself, and mentally, he kicks himself. Undoubtedly, she would have recruited Noli for the job.

It isn’t that Gideon dislikes Quinn’s newest recruit; he merely doesn’t trust her. The past couple of day - weeks? - that she’d been with them, he’d barely found the time to speak two words to her. Not for lack of wanting; he was, and still is, incredibly curious as to her motives. The Flock had just been keeping him consistently preoccupied, as it is wont to do. All the same, he knows next to nothing about her, and he’s not ignorant enough to believe that she was sold on the lies of the cult. Quinn wouldn’t have been able to do that, he knows her too well.

The smells wafting through the kitchen are undoubtedly enough to rouse the sleeping women, but when they come to the kitchen, they’ll find him long gone, a note left in his wake.

Thank you for helping me last night. I apologize for my state. See you at the Gathering.

There is still time before he addresses the commune, even after he packs the car for his immediate departure, and the morning offers an untouched peace that he can’t find inwardly. Coffee in hand, he finds himself in the garden, his feet carrying him to the scene of his crimes automatically. The empty bottle of whiskey is lying exactly where he’d left it, and a sudden surge of anger pulses through him. Scooping it up, he hurls it as hard as he is able into the side of the toolshed where it shatters gloriously. Coffee spills over the edges of his mug at the sudden lunge, though he hardly notices the scalding liquid running down his hand. His head spins unnaturally, the mug falling from his hand as he drops to his knees. With a gusto, his stomach empties itself, and he’s unable to tell if it’s from the night of drinking, or something else entirely.

Someone, somewhere-- No, Ota in Sendai had been documenting his every move, painstakingly putting together a map of his work. Unable to glean how extensive this dossier is, he can only act on impulse to survive. He has been compromised; he must disappear into nothing once more. But he also doesn’t want to leave the cult. That would mean admitting defeat, and he will never be ready to surrender to John Abernathy.

A few deep breaths are enough to steady him and he makes his way to the makeshift church. He has no idea how long he’d spent in the garden, but he finds everyone already assembled and sharing their morning greetings. Out of sight, he straightens himself out, running a hand through his unkempt hair and working out the knot in his neck. It is only when he’s presentable that he would appear.

An instant hush falls over the crowd, and Gideon takes the opportunity to do a sweep. His eyes easily find John, even as someone whispers something in the man’s ear. He doesn’t have to see those green orbs narrow to know exactly what was said.

Smoothly, as if he’d never stopped on John at all, Gideon wills his gaze around the rest of the assembled, taking in their smiling faces. There is, no doubt, a warmer inclination toward him since Evelyn’s sacrifice, and he supposes he should count his blessings. The news would go over at least a little easier, then.

“There is… A danger coming here.” His voice is low, soft, distant, but sure. They hang on to his every word, and he can feel their collective shift into a panicky state. “It threatens our home and everything we’ve built. There is. no. fighting it.” Again, he pauses, murmurs and whispers permeating the silence between his words. “So, as your Shepherd… I must go find us greener pastures. Our own land of milk and honey. It will be hard, and it will prove dangerous. But I can assure you… I would never lead you astray. We will shine out all the brighter through this darkness.

“Now, please,” he continues, waving a hand in the air as voices of contradiction rose in volume, “do not even stop to think that I would force you into this against your will. I am no fool. I know some of you still see my father as your leader. And why shouldn’t you? He’s done great things for and with you. So… I present to you an option. You have until I return to decide.”

Amidst the uproar, he descends the podium and ushers Quinn and Noli out of the church. The Flock hurls questions and declarations and hate at him, but something stops them from following him out. In their minds, they know better…

He waits until they are at his getaway vehicle to address them. First, naturally, he turns to Quinn, apology and regret in his black eyes. “I’m sorry, you know I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t have to. I promised you last night, I’d find us a home. As soon as I am able, you will be the first to know. Everything.” His arms encase her and his lips press tightly against her forehead. “Stay safe. I’ll be in touch, when I can.”

Gideon then turns to the stranger in his home. At first, words don’t come, but his eyes are imploring. Against everything he’s ever known, against his better judgment, he must now place trust in someone who has the power to destroy everything. If he thinks on it too much, he’ll talk himself out of the whole thing. “Keep her safe. At any and all costs.”

With that, he sets off to the first place that comes to mind: Northern California, and the Redwoods.
May 13, 2018 07:23 pm

Noli Joudain

For a solitary person like Noli, easier to attempt avoiding emotional baggage if you avoided people, this decision to follow Quinn to the "cult", was likely the most insane thing she had done.

There was no most likely. It really was absolutely insane.

Years before, Magnolia had found a way to block the emotions that bombarded her daily, yet, since she had met Quinn [no that wasn't quite fair] it was mostly since her baby sister had gone missing that she had opened herself up to the whirlwind of sensations radiating from the masses. There was no better way to stalk a potential kidnapper/killer than to finally accept a gift that could help with that.

Except when she couldn't control it.

That was seemingly problematic. Probably.

From the day she left Quinn at the park, all she had done was practice or some attempt at it, at the very least. It wasn't like the brunette had a how to book or book for dummies on how to be a better psychic; she certainly would have bought that if it were the case. Instead, she had hightailed it back to Cocodrie where she could dig through Ma Belle's things in search of some kind of guidance; not to mention, in order to hide her guns, there were certain chest that she could use for packing with questionable hidden spaces.

She wasn't paranoid.

Just prepared.

The same couldn't be said about her grandfather, it was cedar chests she would be using.

Needless to say, the same containers would hide what she had hoped would help her to help the blonde.

If she could open the journal without it slamming shut, but that was another problem for another time; when she could find someone to ask about ghost without being wrapped up in a hugging jacket and sent up to the crazy house.

Her life had been quite simple. Work, eat, sleep, avoid family; repeat. She had been practicing for moving here without even knowing it, however, it was the avoiding part she was having a bit of a problem with. Not because she hadn't been working to do so, but instead, she needed to know information that wasn't being spoken in but whispers. Gideon, the sacrifice, Quinn's reaction; all important things, probably the most important because she really had been avoiding one of those, but for now, Quinn's husband wasn't the issue and despite the feelings of... dread around him, he loved Quinn.

That was good enough for Noli.

But, for now, she had to worry about John Abernathy. Noli had seen bad, borderline evil. But the blackness that oozed from the man himself; that was wholly different. If she had to choose something to liken it to, it would be like drowning in tar; thick, black, and vile.

It almost seemed deliberate, everywhere she turned he would be there or at the very least one of his lackeys; the worst being Sarah and Noli's instant dislike of her at the dog park didn't make it any easier.

Still, she did have her moments of peace; teaching, even with the restrictions on what they could be taught, Noli loved watching a child's wonder at learning something new.

She would, of course, worry; Quinn's obvious withdraw from everyone was enough to have her hackles raised, but receiving a text in the middle of the night to help her and witnessing their esteemed leader so... out of sorts... Noli would keep her gun close, something was coming and she knew it, but seeing Gideon, who always seemed more of stoic albeit stalwart to those he cared for character, drunk... That screamed something bad.

She wasn't taking chances.

And now they stood, early morning, listening to the same fears Noli held in her head and heart come pouring from her brother-in-law mouth and the uproar of the Flock at his declaration; the words between the lines didn't need to be said, it was quite clear, some would leave, some would stay.

And the girls would be left to deal with the aftermath of this announcement.

And John Abernathy.

And even worse, as they left the crowd, Noli had the sinking feeling that she was about to become undesirable number one to John and his faithful; because even if Gideon hadn't said to keep her safe, Quinn was going to have a shadow, Noli hadn't been there but a few weeks and even she knew that they would rid of the blonde if they ever had the chance if only to get to Gideon.

Now they had to get through her sister.

She rarely spoke anyway, so it was not uncommon for her to just give a curt nod once he addressed her; she knew he didn't trust her, didn’t know her. The feeling was mostly mutual but for Quinn, she'd do anything; not even question why she would do it.

Hazel eyes would watch the vehicle momentarily, chewing on the inside of her cheek before those multi-colored orbs tilted toward her sisterfriend. There were very few things that Noli didn't understand; the biggest of all was love and so she knew she couldn't help with the heartache that her best friend felt. Heart and duty, it really couldn't go hand in hand; but here Quinn was, staying behind.

"We might be due for a long chat, sugar."

That was an understatement.

They were having a lot of those lately.
May 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Quinn Abernathy

It had not taken much to rouse Quinn from her slumber after Gideon left their bed. Anxious as she was over the impending Gathering, knowing that something would have to be said, and that Gideon would be leaving... it had made for fretfully light sleep. So, the smell of coffee she could not have roused her. The girl rose up, starting her day with a shower and a hard stare at the belly that is slowly beginning to show. It is becoming real. It always had been, since they found out the truth, but this is something else entirely.

Once showered, she would dress. Quinn makes the most of the dresses she would not be able to wear for much longer, opting for white sundress she had brought with her from their cabins at Valar Morghulis. She would give Noli a tired smile in passing on her way down the stairs, and wait for her before starting in on the breakfast Gideon had prepared for them.

And read his note, about fifty times, before tucking it into the pocket of her skirt.

The girls would eat together, Quinn not daring to bring up the previous night. Her anxiety rolls off of her in waves, shoulders tense and chocolate hues telling of her thoughts. And then, the sisters would walk through the tiny little commune of quaint homes and buildings, and into the church.

As always, they take their seats at the front, with nothing but smiles and sweetly chirped good mornings for all those around them.

Gideon's presence changes everything, the mood shifting and the chatter ceasing to exist entirely. His words capture them wholly, and without realizing, she had been holding her breath until he waved his hand.

It is quick, and barely painless, as anger and upset are voiced far too loudly around them as the three leave the building. Quinn is still unsure of what to do, or how to react, and opts to keep her gaze down until they reach the cars.

He speaks to her, and Quinn can only frown. It is not disappointment, or upset at him, but a deep concern for him going out on his own. This would be the first willful separation for them, and under highly stressful circumstances. That would not stop her arms from wrapping around him tightly, nor the kiss stolen before he can release her. "I know, Giddy. Please be careful."

His words to Noli, she knows are difficult. He is slow to trust, and in such a sudden and extreme circumstance... she cannot imagine how difficult this is for him.

And then, he is gone. Quinn can barely keep herself from becoming a puddle as she watches the vehicle disappear, fighting the urge to chase after him and demand to go, too. Regret pools within, and she cannot help but feel shame at the way she has acted since Evelyn.

He did that for them.

'We might be due for a long chat, sugar.'

Quinn blinks, looking at Noli and taking a moment to consider everything before giving her a small nod. She hadn't told her sister what had happened the night before, what had brought her to the garden to aid in bringing Gideon home. Truthfully, Quinn barely had any details herself. But she trusts Gideon completely, and while she did not know everything, she knew that if they did not act - she would lose her husband, and their child, their father.

She links her arm with Noli's easily, leading the woman to walk through the compound. Not into the house, but past it. Going home would only raise questions, and more distrust, from the cult. They would figure out that something is wrong, and it would be nothing short of a disaster.

"You know that there are some things I can't tell you, Noli, but I'll do my best. I promise."

Unable to help herself, she glances over her shoulder, half hoping to see him returning.

"The... that thing you told me in the park. Is that still...?"
May 14, 2018 05:01 pm

Noli Joudain

It was not unusual for Noli to remain quiet; it had afforded her some time to gather her thoughts and over the last few weeks, it seemed like that was all she was doing, let's be honest, it's not every day that someone up and leaves everything they had to join a cult that cuts out hearts like it's nothing.

So, trying to take it all in, remaining some silent figure on the outskirts of every whispered conversation it would benefit her; help her regain some semblance of balance in an otherwise Helter Skelter sort of world she was now living in despite the fact that she knew very little about the reason she was here.

Magnolia just knew she belonged next to the blonde.

In the end, that was all that would matter.

She wasn't sure how Q felt but, for Noli she knew that if push comes to shove, the world won't need another hero to deal with someone like John and the longer she stayed here, she was sure she could damn well become the monster to do the job.

For now, she would walk with Quinn, arm in arm, like nothing else in the world mattered; like John Abernathy didn't concern either of them.

Easily done.

Pretending had become second nature.

For both of them.

Gideon leaving, for reasons Noli had yet to understand, that was just one more thing they had to wear a mask for.

That was the central theme for the questions that the brunette had; what happened to cause Gideon to leave, why was he drunk, what could be more dangerous than John, and why the hell would he leave them here alone if there was that kind of danger out there?

But would she?

No. Not yet.

She knew she wouldn't touch the whispers that were floating around when she made her way here; they were answered enough through different people, different conversations.

Mostly. Let's be honest, Magnolia Belle had way too many questions and not enough answers; she'd get there eventually.

She would bite back her own inquiries, preferring to focus on the one Quinn presented; not that she really had much of an answer for her, Noli struggled with her gift/curse and trying to pull information locked in her own head was proving to be dangerous.

Book flying dangerous.

She had some serious questions about ghosts.

Later.

"Something bad is coming. Something worse is here already, but you know that don't you?" Fingers from her free hand would reach across and pat the arm tucked into her own; it wasn't very easy to look at the two and see which of them should be the eldest, but unlike her relationship with her real sister, the one with Quinn was equal, mutual, both actually cared. Affection, worry, protective nature; it would all come a lot easier with this blonde, even if she still had hopes of finding Emeline, Noli already knew that this right here was more important now. "I don't know when. But I can only assume that with Gideon gone, hell is going to break loose. Seems par for the course, doesn't it? You'll stay close to me."

Noli wished she had more information to give, tried really hard to will it into her head; which is why she wanted to know about spirits and giant tomes flying at her head, however, she wasn't sure Quinn was the right person to ask nor did she want to add more to the thin shoulders of her dear sister, the blonde already was carrying a full load of burdens. Yet, it wouldn’t stop her question from coming out of her mouth; not like it hadn't been on the tip of her tongue since the night before.

"What happened last night?"
May 24, 2018 10:21 am

Quinn Abernathy

Something bad is coming.

Quinn sighs. She knows. She knows that well. She also knows what it is. Noli's words are etched into her mind, and it brings her to constantly be looking over her shoulder. Never sure how she feels about the impending event, she is stuck somewhere between now and then. There would never be any going back, but it would be a lie to say she isn't a little relieved while just as mortified, worried, and upset. But as Noli reminds her that there is worse already in their midsts, she nods gently.

Yes, she knows.

Her head ducks down momentarily as her sister pats her arm, and she gives Noli's arm a squeeze with her own.

"Of course.. it's just... it's a lot."

And then, the million dollar question escapes Noli. She can't help but flinch at it. There are things, numerous details, that Quinn has not disclosed about Gideon and herself. While there would never have been a way to keep secret the events at the sacrifice, she wants desperately to retain some things to herself.

"Noli..." Regret fills her voice, and she casts a rueful look in her counterpart's direction. Another sigh, an uncomfortable roll of her shoulders. "It... I don't know what happened. Not really."

Pressing her lips together, she takes a moment to reflect on how to explain the situation. She understands that she is asking quite a bit of the woman. Noli packed up her entire life and dropped off the face of the Earth for her, and if that is not enough of an indication to trust her completely, there is no telling what might be. "Gideon... he texted me to meet him in the garden. And I did. He had been drinking, and he said we had to leave."

She is leaving things out. Important things. They both know it. Slightly frustrating, totally fearful, she pushes on. "He's been compromised. We have to leave." The resolute tone in her voice leaves nothing up to the imagination. Quinn would follow her husband to the ends of the Earth and beyond, if only to spend her life with him. Her love for him is deep, and unyielding.

"He is a good man, Noli. I know he's not easy, and that you haven't really gotten to know him, but he is so good." Heart thumping heavily within her chest, she takes a slow breath to calm her nerves. "The sacrifice was my fault. I suggested it."

Her steps come to a halt at the treeline, and Quinn turns to Noli anxiously. Her free hand comes up to rest upon Noli's upper arm, and it is so clear that she is trying to communicate something that simply cannot be spoken. She can barely say the rest. What could she possibly say?

My husband is a serial killer.
My husband loves me.
I love my husband.
I need to keep him safe.
I can't lose him.
Without him...
There is no without him.

"Things weren't always like this," she shakes her head. "He's sweet, and safe, and warm. He loves Cheetos, and haunted houses, and camping, and s'mores. But this is how he grew up. In this place. In that house. With that man."

Despite her rushed and hushed words, the amount of distress within her is rising.

"So he's gone. To find somewhere safe for us. Somewhere new. I don't know where he is going, but what he said this morning.. there is truth to that."
May 24, 2018 06:11 pm

Noli Joudain

No one truly knew another and that was certainly true for the two that stood at the edge of the woods; were they honest when they could be, yes. Otherwise, the two held most things close to their own hearts and didn't utter the words that the other needed to hear; plausible deniability, lack of trust, call it what you will, but these two women were brought together for a reason and someday, they'd learn to spill the truth.

Until then...

They'll just try to stay alive long enough for Gideon to return.

Something Noli was tasked with and as usual, the desire to deal with John Abernathy and his cronies bubbled in her gut; but as much as she'd like to go to the darkside, that was a risk toward the blonde she wasn't willing to take.

She'd like the only person who knew her better than anyone to stay alive.

And herself.

Gideon would fillet her if anything happened to Quinn.

Noli likes her heart beating in her chest.

Once again, Magnolia had fallen quiet as their feet padded the soft ground and Quinn spoke in hushed tones, though they were alone when they started on their walk, there really was no telling who could be listening and how much they could hear, luckily, the girls had become pretty good at keeping it short, sweet, and stifled to the point anyone would be fortunate to hear any of their chats.

This was definitely one that had to remain under wraps.

"As much as I would like to know how and who brought about the compromised position, I have a feeling that would be something left better unsaid."

A lot of things were better left unsaid; not that Noli could really follow her own rule, not when it came to blurting out things that could give Quinn some peace of mind, something that the blonde really needed in this moment. Besides, she had easily accepted Noli's giftcurse, which could lead to some questions about what had the blonde seen in her life to be so accepting of that kind of thing, but now was not the time to reflect on that, she had things to say.

Quickly, quietly, and multicolored irides bored into molten chocolate.

"I know what he is, Quinn. Mostly. It's getting easier. To see. But I'm not here for Gideon, though you do come package-like, I'm here for you and if it helps you to not be so stressed, I will do the same for your husband as he asked me to do for you. For now, he can't be a concern though, he is doing what he has to do. You, however, are at a greater risk.. As is Gideon's position, that man is a considerable threat to you, Gideon, and the baby."

Was it already known? Yes. Was Noli being repetitive? Yep. Were her words needed to make a bad situation sound even more dire? Uh, yeah.

It wasn't just her hard head she had to drill it into; her and Quinn were quite a bit alike, trouble followed them.

"We're going to have to be very aware of everything until he returns. And then I'll follow behind you, I have some unfinished business... "

She meant it, she'd go where Q went. Her entire life had been lived in a box of her own making; now she was hanging out with a cult full of possible serial killers and quite possibly Satan himself. Why would she go back to ordinary?

Other than to find her sister... dead or alive.

This is her life now.
May 31, 2018 02:55 pm

Quinn Abernathy

'As much as I would like to know...'

Quinn lets out a quiet sigh, brows pulling upward and signaling all those things she wishes she could say. But honestly, not even Quinn is privy to all of Gideon's secrets. And this, no matter it's nature, is one of them for reasons she would never know. "It's an answer I don't have, Noli," she shrugs gently.

And, as her friend and sister continues, she can feel her stomach twist and heart sink. Of course, once near Gideon in this environment, it is easier to see the things that make him different. But Quinn saw him before this, and she knows her husband. She can only wish that this version of Gideon were secondary to the Gideon Noli has come to understand.

It almost brings her to his defense. Again.
But Noli powers through, firmly reminding them both of the stakes, and the plan.

Bowing her head, she can only nod.

The first Sunday without her husband has Quinn tangled up inside, marking a week without him there. So much has changed, and at the same time, nothing has. People do their jobs, they smile and give their well wishes. John sits in on class every day, and Quinn takes a secondary roll to Noli in the school.

Even as she and Noli fix their breakfast and prepare for church, there are few words that can be uttered to make the young woman feel better. This is par for the course, she tells herself. It won't be this way for long, if only they survive a little longer.

There have been whispers of that night. The night Gideon called her to the garden. Of a strange man, and a drunken Shepherd. But the idle gossip is just that, and the blond pays no mind. Instead, she nods to Noli and wrings her hands.

"Ok. Ok." She mutters, despite her fast beating heart. "We got this. We just have to show up. It'll just be... a time of reflection, or something. Or maybe no one will be there, since Gideon isn't here. Probably that."

Whatever makes her feel better, this reasoning does work. There is a nod, and Quinn finds herself so sure of herself that when they step outside it is impossible to hide her disappointment when she sees the tiny little town empty of life. But a voice carries to them, gravely heavy and booming, and she looks at Noli before making a beeline for the church.

John Abernathy stands at the front, and as Quinn and Noli enter, the cold look on her face seems enough to quiet them. The whispers are enough to tell her that her husband is being challenged, unable to defend himself. And, a thoughtless huff of annoyance escapes her.

How dare he?

Without thinking, Quinn is walking up the aisle, only releasing Noli's hand when she reaches the makeshift stage and steps up. "Thank you, John."

The dismissal is clear, and Quinn does not bother to remove him before she turns to address the grouping of tense followers. "When Gideon and I arrived here, I will admit to you all.. I was terrified. A new place, one I had only ever heard of, and a scary new world. As your Messenger, I was only just learning my purpose. But Gideon? He took the brunt of it all."

Taking a deep breath, her gaze sweeps over everyone before settling upon Noli. "He was brutalized. A cross cut upon upon his back, beaten every day, walked through the streets so that you, too, could judge him. Gideon passed that test, and in doing so, almost died for you."

That chocolaty gaze shifts downward, and Quinn silences for several moments. Reality sinks in for her, and she allows these warped souls to soak it in, as well. The drop of a pin would sound like gunfire, the silence around them so loud. She is almost certain that they could all hear her heart flutter.

"That cost was high, because it wasn't until later that we learned of the already growing darkness in our Father. To this day, he continues to beg you to doubt your Shepherd. But don't be fooled. That darkness wishes to bring you harm, too."

Sighing, she takes a step forward. "Gideon is your Shepherd. He was beaten in the streets by his own people. He protects you every day from those that would bring us all harm. He has," another deep breath, preparing herself to speak the words she would rather not, "performed the most sacred of rituals, and he has provided you with a future."

Her hand moves to her barely swollen belly.

"Remember this, the next time the devil tempts you."

With that, she steps forward, taking Noli's hand and rushing them both out of the church amidst a profound quiet. She has damned John Abernathy openly, denounced him, and threatened him. Whatever trouble they thought they had been in before, it is tenfold now.

"I'm sorry. It know that was bad, Noli," whispered words call for the woman's forgiveness.
June 02, 2018 09:09 am

Noli Joudain

Resolute.

That could be the only word that would describe their final moments in the outskirts of the woods.

The barrage of questions that hung thick in the air would come later, the next time they had a moment of peace.

Alone.

And without worry.

----------------------------

Noli clearly jinxed them.

John Abernathy had stepped up his usual shadow-like game to the point that Noli was seriously contemplating pulling the gun hidden on her person and just letting the chips fall where they may; it was clear that she wasn't the only one affected by the haunting presence in the school room, Magnolia could handle herself and she knew Quinn would grin and bear it but the children were suffering because the two women were constantly on their toes, waiting for the worst to happen.

This alone would infuriate the brunette.

She took pride in being a great teacher.

No one was going to take that away from her.

And so, a plan would begin to form.

This Magnolia was someone she didn't even know; but when one is pushed beyond the limit of breaking and their way of life is threatened, no matter how new it was to her...

Karma is a bi-ch, her name is Noli.

Not that it was karma, more like bloodroot.

But whatever.

Noli had thought long and hard about this over the last couple of days; how and when to administer, how much to grind up so it wasn't exactly lethal, all the important things that one would need to know about poisoning someone. It probably helped that the confounded book that seemed to have a mind of its own, had some useful information inside of it.

Not like Magnolia Belle actually know what bloodroot was; it's not like she practices... murder?

Murder-lite?

Semi-murder?

We're just going to come back to how to only half-kill someone.

At least until the moment they burst through the door of the church and her Q's face clearly revealed the anger that had been pushed down for the last week at the interruptions in school (something both had known would happen) and this, while Noli had spoken of how precarious Gideon's position was with him gone, she had certainly not expected John to move this fast, nor had she realized the speed of which a seriously pissed off pregnant woman could move.

Noli would blink in surprise; movements, speech... Quinn made her point in such a fashion that even those multi-colored orbs reflected a guilt that she wasn't even sure was about the devil tempting her.

Okay, so Noli had been hiding away here helping others with their problems and basically has forgotten her 'other' sister; we know where the guilt comes from, but she'll push it down until Quinn and Gideon are safe.

Far, far, from John Abernathy.

Unless her plan kills him.

And well, then, she supposed it wouldn't be that bad to go look for Emeline.

Who the hell is this Magnolia?

I'm sorry. I know that was bad, Noli.

It took the briefest moment to register the warm hand pulling her from the church and the words to pierce through her preoccupied brain; and just the smallest moment to peddle back from the easy grin starting to form, teeth catching a bottom-lip would quell the need to bless her sister with a toothy grin.

But the words that tumbled out, excitably, to say the least; would not be swallowed back as easy as her slow forming smile.

"Don't be, that was brilliant."

Not said: Now I have a legit reason to put him down without Gideon killing me.

"We should get you inside, to rest. It's good for the baby."

Not said: I have to find a way to "little" dead someone and not dead, dead them.

"And don't worry, Quinn, these things have a way of working out. Karma, you know. Besides, Gideon will be back soon."

Not said: Everything.

Noli wouldn't tell Quinn, despite the fact that the woman probably wouldn't stop her at this point and if there happened to be an oops and she went overboard with too much of the opium like plant; Q likely wouldn't feel too awful about it. However, Noli wasn't going to put this on anyone but her own shoulders, plausible deniability was necessary when it came to killing someone else's father-in-law.

Partial murder?

There seriously has to be a word for this.

Either way, it was happening.

John Abernathy being sick would mean he'd at least be out of their way until Gideon returns.

Or dead, that is a possibility too.

Whatever.
June 20, 2018 11:35 am
Actives (10) Fresh Blood (3) View All The Fallen (0) Graveyard
Giovanni DiGiorgio, Raze Wraith, Maeve, Dessa Chambers, Mackenzie, Jackson McCarthy, Cici, Jasp Thompson, Mallory Quarters, Marshmallow  Lorna Blake
_Shelly_
Ariok Sendricus 

Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page