Current Time: 07:47 pm EDT

Salt in a Wound on a Warm Afternoon

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1
  Creator Post Date

Erica Stone

It’s just about 3 o’clock in the morning when the bed shifts. Sleepily, Rickie mutters. She’s blissfully unaware of the movement around the apartment; Zara is in a silent panic to collect her belongings, and escape before the redhead stirs just enough to ask her to stay. When the alarm sounds a few hours later, there’s no grumbled protest. No warm body pulling the sheets away, no agitated feet pushing the detective out of bed.

Zara?

Rickie’s arm reaches out in search of Zara’s slim frame but, she’s met only by cold sheets.

Babe?”

There’s no immediate panic as Rickie rubs the sleep from her eyes, and swings her legs over the side of the bed. It’s not abnormal for Zara not to respond; afterall, it’s just before 6 am, and the barista has never been known to be fully awake at this hour.  Striding over to her bureau to get ready for the new workday, she’s expecting Zara to shuffle in, either from the bathroom or with an early morning snack. But, the apartment is still – eerily so, and Rickie’s heart begins to beat faster and louder in her chest.

The bathroom is unoccupied, and Rickie doesn’t realize that the toothbrush cup is empty until she’s reaching out for her own. She’s surprised that she hadn’t noticed that small detail sooner.

Strange.

Consequently, Rickie begins to notice some of the other things that had amassed in her apartment over the last few weeks – a sweater, a pair of flip-flops, some bracelets and headbands, things quintessential to Zara’s look and personality. But that morning, the only evidence of Zara’s presence is her phone, still plugged in, sitting on the bedside table.

The morning is slow – Rickie and Jared spend the majority of their time delegating paperwork, and prepping interviews. Standard, mundane detective work.  Later, Rickie sacrifices her lunch break for a commute to Reed’s, where Zara is scheduled to work the afternoon shift. The coffee shop is busy, as usual.

Is Zara out back?

The girl behind the espresso machine shakes her head.  “She was supposed to come in at 11, we haven’t seen her yet.” She then suggests that Rickie return just before closing time. Grateful yet still rather unsettled, the detective returns to the precinct, where the remainder of the day drags on. Rickie loiters until the last person leaves Reed’s that evening, and when the lights dim through the front windows, she knows there’s only one option left. The drive to Zara’s apartment is beyond nerve-wracking; Rickie spends most of the journey drumming her thumbs against the steering wheel, praying that her girlfriend is home rather than waiting to be let into a building across town.

Zara?” she inquires, knocking on the apartment door. The sound of music is faint, yet discernible, confirming the presence of someone.

Baby, can you let me in?”

June 08, 2018 06:58 pm

Zara Peer

Zara’s back at her apartment before the sun is in the sky, tossing the collection of her odds and ends from Erica’s apartment aside in her hallway. She’s normally excessively organized – and would have taken the time to put everything in its place meticulously. Instead, she heads straight for her nightstand, knowing precisely her goal.

She’s sparking her lighter to a joint before she’s even realizing it, and this is a process she continues long into the day. She doesn’t have her phone with her, and truly has no sense of time. She doesn’t think of Erica’s worrying, or of the work shift she’s skipping, only the idea that she needs to feel absolutely nothing.

Because I’m feeling everything. And it’s killing me.

Normally, moments of high stress elicit a different response. She has the ability to run free, the lycanthropy breaking the mold of her sorrows. But this grief is different, so deep, and completely untraceable to Zara.

All I know is that I want her.

But how much?

She’s outside of her own mind for most of the day – blissfully high, unwilling to process the idea that loving Rickie would mean to let her go; or uproot her own life to follow. She eats most of the food in her fridge in cabinets. It’s slim picking as is, she prefers to eat fresh – and she’s mostly been at Rickie’s apartment.

She wonders what Erica is doing, if she’s at work, trying to get in touch with her, and finding herself unable. Leaving her phone was done on purpose, but it keeps Zara from trying to talk to Erica when she isn’t quite prepared to.

Just tell her you love her.

Love isn’t so black and white.

After what feels like a vacuum of time, a knock comes at Zara’s door. She recognizes the voice, the gentle tenor of Erica’s tone sending an unmistakable shiver down the younger woman’s spine. She’ll love forever the sound of the detective’s voice, and always the way she says her name. She teeters to the door, Cheetos dust all over her Reed’s Roastery t-shirt.

“Hi,” Zara greets, leaving the door open as she wanders back for the sofa – and food. The entire apartment wreaks of marijuana, leaving little to the imagination as to what Zara’s been up to all day. And again, uncharacteristic of her to miss a shift, let along to drop completely off the grid to Erica.

But it’s all a defense mechanism, whether or not Erica wants to see it as that. Zara is scared beyond what she has ever comprehended as the meaning of fear.

I love you.

No.

No?

No. I just…

Little b*tch.

“I love you.” Zara blurts out, feeling her eyes already brimming with hot tears. “You know that, right?” She dusts off her hand, thereafter reaching for Erica’s. “I think I left my phone at your apartment… Could really be the only place it is, I didn’t go to work today.” Of course Zara doesn’t know Erica showed up to Reed’s.

She’s still playing catch-up to just how dedicated Erica is to her.

June 09, 2018 01:00 am

Erica Stone

When the door swings open, Rickie subconsciously leans away from the stifling smell of burnt marijuana. Uncomfortable with how the odor seeps into the hallways, she ushers herself in quickly, shutting the door behind her thereafter. Zara’s living space is in wild disarray, which makes Rickie’s brow furrow in concern – she’d come to discover that, despite first impressions, the barista is rather obsessive about cleanliness and order. A characteristic that Rickie is quite familiar with, herself.

You left early.

The statement is just meant as a way for Rickie to organize her thoughts. She’d spent the day worried for Zara’s whereabouts and safety, and having no way of contacting her only made matters worse. Although her anxiety had remained primarily contained, Jared picked up on Rickie’s slight shift in demeanor – as he usually does. At the end of the work day, he’d offered to buy her a beer, but she’d politely declined. She had other priorities in mind.

And I have your phone.”

Rickie steps toward the coffee table to return the phone. Zara, even when covered in crumbs and orange, cheesy dust, has the ability to knock the air out of the detective’s lungs. There’s something in the way her hair tumbles across her shoulders, how, no matter the circumstance, her eyes always gleam with a hint of wonder and excitement, and…

You’re so f*cking gay.

No, you’re in love.

Stop that.

I do,” she responds, allowing for Zara to take her hand. She glances down at their entwined fingers, reveling in the way their hands fit together.

Come with me.

Rickie fidgets, shifting her weight from foot to foot. She hasn’t mustered the courage to sit, yet. In this moment, it scares her to be in such close proximity with the woman who’d stolen her heart so quickly – there’s some comfort in the distance she’s maintained.

I know this kind of life isn’t your thing, but – ” pause, and a hard swallow “ – We’d be alright. I just…”

I need you.

In her own way, Rickie has become dependent on Zara. The young woman’s enthusiasm and fervor for life is intoxicating, and there’s no doubt that Rickie is a better version of herself with Zara around. Reverting to her old monotonous routine just seems… wrong.

Please?

June 09, 2018 10:42 am

Zara Peer

“Go with you?” Zara lets out a soft sigh. She wants to say yes. To dive into the deep end and accept everything Erica has to offer is offering. “I want to.” She can’t lie to the detective. They both know each other too well now, insuperable and happily so. “There’s nothing I want more than to be with you every second.”

But I can’t.

Yes you can. It’s easy.

But she craves control and order and everything, in this whirlwind moment, is too much. She’s not ready to drop her life, and move across the country. Everything that it would mean for her – everything it would imply for them.

“There’s a moment, I remember the very second, that it went from ‘me’ to ‘we’. That ‘I’ became an ‘us’. I think about it all of the time. You’ve drilled a hole in my heart and poured yourself into it, and I know I can’t survive without you.” She slowly stands, hand still holding Erica’s, the other gently caressing her cheek. “You are in my heart forever, Erica Stone. I love you.”

But…

“But I can’t go to North Carolina. Not yet. I need time to…” It’s not a rejection of Erica by any means. She wants her, and really, needs her, in every possible way. “But that’s forever, you know? If I go with you… That’s it.” She’s not commitment phobic – but even Erica can admit despite a 7 month long ‘frustrationship’, things were moving fast.

The women were only apart to work, and every possible second they could be together, they were. Zara is attached, and so is Erica.

But that doesn’t mean she isn’t scared.

“Give me some time?”

June 09, 2018 11:24 am

Erica Stone

Okay.

It’s all Erica Stone can offer at this point in time. Of course, she’d anticipated a ‘no’ or at least some kind of deflection. Asking Zara to uproot herself, to abandon a life she’d made in LA had been a bold, perhaps callous move on Rickie’s part – it isn’t particularly like her to act out of impulse. But, it’s a testament to how drastically she has changed in the last few weeks. If Zara can admit to the ways she’s been impacted by their relationship, Rickie is experiencing the same, but ten-fold.

If and when you’re ready,” she says softly, “Come home to me.

A heavy silence settles over the two women as they stand, forehead to forehead, in the middle of Zara’s apartment. Rickie’s eyes slide shut in an attempt to prevent tears from spilling. There’s a moment that doesn’t feel quite real – like she’d dreamt this entire scenario, and is due to wake up at any given moment. But, when the familiar melody of ‘City of Angels’ by The Head and the Heart fills the air, Rickie knows this is real.

I know just where my heart should be.
Yeah, she’s right in front of me.

Tell her you love her, too.

Can we…

Rickie clears her throat, quickly wiping at her wet cheeks before Zara has the chance to see the tears.

Let’s go for a drive?

Without waiting for a response, the detective is pulling Zara toward the door. If their time together is limited, Rickie wants to spend it wisely. And if it means using every second of the night to memorize all that is Zara Peer, so be it.

June 09, 2018 11:56 am

Zara Peer

The ride that night was made in silence. Radio off. Zara unbuckled and leaning against Erica’s side while her truck hummed on down the road. They didn’t say much to each other that evening, neither capable of expressing anything else.

The following days are gone – Rickie effectively departed for Fort Bragg, and Zara trying her best to ignore it’s happened, period. They haven’t texted beyond confirmation her flight had landed, and the brunette finds herself yearning for the company of one particular woman.

Pulling out her phone, she swallows her pride and clicks on Erica’s contact.

Dialing…

The other side connects.

“Hey, baby.” Zara greets, hearing already the sound of Rickie’s breathing on the other end. There’s a long pause before Rickie offers any response, but the conversation drags on, until Zara adds:

“I’m going to come out there.” Then Erica is pausing again, hanging off the end of her words.

“Soon, maybe.”

“Yeah, soon…” She droops, still holding onto her cellphone.

“I have to be up early. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“I love you, Erica.” She has to pull her phone back to check that the call didn’t disconnect. “Baby?”

“I know that. Love you, too.”

“And I m-“ The line disconnects, leaving Zara to sit alone in her too empty bed, in an apartment that feels too quiet. She feels an instant pang of regret for not having dropped everything to follow her – which reassures her that her love is genuine, but she knows she made the right choice. She knows without a doubt Erica is hurting, or perhaps allowing the distance to push Zara into going to North Carolina.

She pulls out her phone, tapping away a message.

Erica Stone
I miss everything about you, and it’s only been a few days.
Give me some time. I’ll find my way to you.
Love you.

June 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Erica Stone

In the morning, Rickie leaves a note, just as she did after their very first night together. This time, however, the statement is simple. And conclusive.

I love you, too.
~ E

Writing ‘E’ feels strange, but Rickie doesn’t mind so much. Over the short span of time they’ve spent together, Rickie has come to love the way it sounds. But, Zara will forever remain the only person allowed to use her full name.

She’d become soft in the last few weeks.

But, as her boots hit the pavement just outside the airport terminal, Rickie is back in ‘Military Mode.’ After flying through the TSA Pre-Check, she slings her bag over her shoulder, and sets out for her gate, hyperaware of how much attention her uniform draws. Some passersby insist on thanking her for serving; in response, she explains that she is only just beginning her term. 

The journey to Fort Bragg is long, but only by virtue of Rickie’s heavy heart. Leaving her work family, a career, a place she’d established as her home is hard enough. Losing Zara makes it near unbearable. The flight itself is seamless. North Carolina air is different, however, and Rickie instantly misses home.

The following days are a blur. It takes very little time for Rickie to settle into her new quarters – a 2-bedroom house complete with full amenities, and a rather large backyard. She has little to unpack, and even less to do around the house. Barney barks at the back door, insisting on being let out into the yard. Rickie obliges.

Later, she’s just getting off the phone with Zara when the sound of a familiar voice makes her freeze. 

“Lieutenant Stone.”

It can’t be.

“It’s been quite a while.”

Slowly, she turns to come face-to-face with Sage Kennedy.

I don’t f*cking believe it.” Rickie can’t help but laugh as she steps forward, arms lifting to encircle the tall blonde’s shoulders. The two women chat for a moment.

“Caught wind of your recent recommissioning, so I had to come by and welcome you to the neighborhood.”

Here I am. What, 6 years later?”

“And you haven’t changed a bit.”

You still drink those piss in a bottle beers?”

“What do you think?”

First round on me, then. Just let me know when you’re free.

“For old time’s sake.”

The two women grin at eachother before embracing once again. Rickie is all too familiar with the way Sage conducts herself – her mannerisms, her quirks, her habits. Long story short, the two women been married for a brief period of time. They’d spent their years at UCSB attached at the hip; after their 2ndyear together, it only made sense for Rickie to propose. But, when Sage was deployed immediately following their commissioning, the couple split on mutually cordial terms. As Rickie often put it, the relationship had been “heaven while it lasted.” 

But, it had taken a toll on her heart. As mutual as the divorce had been, Rickie felt like a part of her being had been stolen. After Sage’s deployment, Rickie swore she’d never allow herself to get that invested in another person. She couldn’t bear to sacrifice another piece of herself.

Now, her relationship with Zara is no different. She’d opened up to another woman, allowed Zara to reach in and take not a piece, but her entire heart. The emptiness in her chest cavity makes each day away from LA (and from Zara) miserable. She’d hoped that a total immersion in work would prove to be a sufficient distraction. But, it’s impossible not to think of the woman she’d fallen so hard for, especially when that particular woman is trying to maintain an open line a communication.

Zara Peer
Take all the time you need.

June 14, 2018 12:14 am

Zara Peer

The past few days haven’t been easy. From the second Erica left, Zara could feel a gap building between them that has nothing to do with the physical distance. Rickie suddenly became a very different person, pushing Zara away to protect herself. If felt like no promise, however genuine, was enough to assure Rickie that Zara would come, in her own time. All of the past insecurities about Zara’s life were used against her, and it was enough to have her walking in the other direction without a second thought.

Or so she thought at the time.

Now, she’s just angry Rickie hasn’t called. Yes, she told her to lose her number. Yes, she’d broken up with her. But Rickie’s willingness to give into it and not reach back out is what hits Zara like a ton of bricks.

Maybe she has made a mistake. She fell too quickly, for someone she should have recognized she had no business being with. But then, a late night phone call. Rickie’s drunk, she can tell. Not normally one to over indulge, she begins to get the inkling that the detective is hurting. It’s a faster conversation that Zara wants, but she can’t seem to stir any words to offer, not even when Erica is on the verge of saying ‘I love you’.

She goes on into the next day, trying to push thoughts of the red head from her mind. She’s talked it over with her mother a hundred times, with the same conclusion. She can’t just go to North Carolina. If this is Erica’s best behavior, Zara can’t afford the risk of giving up her entire life for one person.

And then there’s a knock at her door.

“One sec!” She calls, scurrying across the wood floor to the door. She swings the door open, only to be kneecapped by an over-exuberant Barney. “Oh my god!” She quickly leans over to scoop up the bundle of pure love, who promptly assaults her face with licks.

“Ms. Zara Peer?” The porter offers over a clipboard for her to sign, along with an envelope. “I’ll bring up his crate.” He verifies her information with a quick glance, and makes his way back down the hallway. Not that Zara cares, she’s incredibly overwhelmed.

After all of the chaos, and once Barney is taken for a very long and well-deserved walk, she finally sits down to read the note. Over, and over, and over…

And before she really knows what she’s doing, she’s packing up a bag, and Barney. “I’m so sorry, buddy, I know you just got off a plane… But we have to go see mommy.” Of course the dog has no idea what she’s talking about. But he wags his tail amiably, and she’s grateful he’s such an easy-going pup.

Of course there’s no perfectly timed flight to Raleigh, and she’s waiting until early into the morning to board a flight. And even then, it’s a massive pain in the ass to find an Uber that’s willing to take a dog, and an hour-long jaunt to Fort Bragg. When everything’s said and done, Zara’s more broke than she’s ever been before. But for whatever reason, she doesn’t care.

Barney drags her towards Rickie’s front door more quickly than she can verify the house number, and she’s frantically knocking on the door. And as soon as it starts to crack open…

“You’re the biggest part of my world. You’re all of it, Erica.” And just as quickly, she realizes it’s not Erica. Just as she begins to look dejected, the blonde intercepts.

“Hi, I’m Sage. Rickie’s in the shower, but please, come in. You must be Zara…” She’s wearing a sh*t-eating grin, but appears genuine. “I’ll just… Leave you two to it.” And just as quickly as Zara’s slipped in, Sage is out.

“Erica?” She drops the leash and her bag, wandering through the unfamiliar territory towards the sound of running water. The bathroom door is unlocked – so of course Zara helps herself inside, and immediately draws back the curtain of the shower. “Who the hell is the hot blonde?!”

June 19, 2018 01:15 pm

Erica Stone

Jesus, f*ck. Sage!

As the curtain is drawn back, Rickie screams – Hollywood horror movie style.  Her hand is clenched into a tight fist, pulled back and poised in anticipation of her ex-wife (who, in Rickie’s defense, can take a punch or two). Much to her added surprise, the redhead isn’t met with Sage’s cheeky grin. Rather, like the most world’s breathtaking apparition, Zara stands, sienna hair pulled back into a messy bun, eyes sparkling with a look Rickie hasn’t seen before.

W-what are you…”

Rickie blinks, utterly at a loss for words. Instead, she stares in disbelief for what feels like a lifetime. Finally, Zara’s initial question registers, and knowing that it’ll (more than likely) turn into a prickly topic, Rickie decides to play dumb for the moment.

Hot blonde? Oh, that’s Sage. We –“

F*ck.

What are you doing here, baby?”

It’s a quick change in subject, primarily because Rickie’s not quite ready to explain what her ex-wife had been doing in the house. She coughs then, realizing that she’s completely in the nude. Quickly, she takes a towel from the nearby rack, and wraps it around her torso.

She’s seen you naked plenty, you freakin' prude.

There’s no doubt that Rickie is beyond ecstatic to see Zara; she is, however, more shocked than anything else. She hadn’t anticipated that the woman would drop everything so immediately after receiving Barney at home. Rickie figured that it would’ve taken at least a few days to process, and accept him as not only an apology, but also as a symbol of her love.

Before Zara can answer, Rickie’s speaking again. This time, it’s all in one breath.

“I’m so sorry, Zara. For everything. For being an absolute d*ck, for being distant, for pushing you away. I didn’t mean any of it, I just…

There’s plenty left to say, but the lieutenant can’t help herself anymore. With her arms wrapped tightly around the other woman’s slim waist, Rickie presses a feverish kiss to Zara’s lips. She doesn’t know if Zara will accept this expression of affection, but at this point, she doesn’t care much. In this moment, just having her close is enough.

June 19, 2018 04:29 pm
Actives (5) Fresh Blood (3) View All The Fallen (3) Graveyard
Camille Hammond, Daciana Draculesti, Cristina Scabbia, Kristoffer Forseti, Mallory Quarters  Cici
Raven_Dragoon
Devika Draculesti 
astranox
Adolph Kruger
Circe Du Pont 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page