Current Time: 07:53 pm EST

We need to take it back a notch

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1 | 2 | Next
  Creator Post Date

Mackenzie

It's kind of an un-idea, really. We need to bring BL back to what it was.

Once upon a time, you used to not be able to rank past 7 without being in a crew. You used to be incapable of opening a crew before rank 8 (see the logic, there?). If you were not affiliated, you couldn't take part in any way in a bounty. You were left unprotected, and incapable of going very far. Things were exciting. The Realm was buzzing.

Crews were necessary.

Now, they aren't. People can sit outside of a crew for ages and rank to their heart's content. They can open a crew at rank 7, with a character that has absolutely no history in leadership. And, they can participate in a meaningful way in bounties.

The result?

No one wants to be in a crew.

Boring.

The entire structure of Bloodletting is surrounded by the one key feature, that is our crews. It is meant to drive both social life and ranking. People are left out in the Realm without anyone to look out for them because it doesn't matter. Once upon a time, Leaders were people's mentors. They helped retain the population, and ushered new souls into their ranks.

I'm going to come out and say it. I thoroughly believe that a large part of the silence around here is due to the death of the importance of crews.

So. Let's roll back.

That's my idea. Sticking to it.
August 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Maeve

I know what you mean, but.... what keeps the current leaders from convincing the free loaders that being in a crew is safer than not? I could think of several ways that would make this place look a bit more like the days of old.

I know some will play the bully card, but it't a bleeping war game... and war is not nice
August 21, 2018 02:10 pm

Mona Eisimpleir

I don't think it's about the Crews at all. I think it's more about the players. And those with specific agendas to make people so miserable that they choose to leave altogether, rather than deal with the harassment.

In regards to non-crew people creating new crews, well, you've all shown that striking down the new crews is how you handle anyone coming into the gold. Why bother? Just saying. You know I've been around long enough to see how the Leader Game is played. It's really not worth the time or effort. Hell, I'd rather be stuck at Rank 7 forever, writing with people who aren't total d**che bags.

Maeve, if want to make war, then make your war. Coven vs Coven, Coven vs Sanc. Murdering loners is what they made Damnation for. Also, it's more of a sandbox than a war game.

September 13, 2018 06:26 pm

Mackenzie

If anyone is being harassed, they should be speaking with the admin. Harassment is a completely separate issue from what this is.

The crews are meant to be the social aspect of the game. They are of and by the players. I'm not sure what your personal experiences are, and this isn't the place to go into those details, but I can assure you - you aren't speaking to anyone who hasn't been 'made miserable' several times over and still made the best of things.

We bother because we want to make this place more fun and interactive. We bother because we want to enjoy our time here and write with new people. The Leader Game, as you put it, doesn't exist.

Maeve was not talking about making war.

Damnation was made to be BLO on steroids. Both games are war games. Both games are built on a political system and death. And trust me, when any of our characters get killed here, there is a reason.

Mona, it sounds like your concerns are less about the idea presented, and more with the nature of the game.
September 13, 2018 07:26 pm

Mona Eisimpleir

My input here is only an example of how people may feel, and why they shy away from crew life. Really, look outside yourself for a second, and see that not everyone is of your opinion. Your "idea presented" is based on the past. Not everyone likes the ideas of the past. Just like not everyone here is into "have-a-family-make-a-baby" roleplays. You are, from what I interpret, trying to force us all back into your ideology of how great things may have been in your experience. 

You want more crews? Watch as they die. 

You want more in your crew? Go get 'em!

Now, if what you are looking for is more general populace activity ... I'd recommend creating a Realm-wide event, and see how that goes.

September 13, 2018 07:50 pm

Jameson Orlav

Welcome to Bloodletting, an RPG fantasy world where Vampires, Slayers, Werewolves, Witches and Angels interact, role play, fight, and engage in war with each other. Your journey in the Realm begins as a mere Innocent while you fight your way to the top of the rankings. Gather familiars and minions along the way and use them to help you gain wealth and status. Buy special weapons and armor to aid you in your fight against your mortal enemies. Join a Coven or Sanctuary and align forces with others of your kind as you seek to control the Realm. Seek adventure in strange cities and dark graveyards. Even dare to brave the horrors of the Forbidden City or rise as a champion in the Caverns.

Bloodletting is a text based role playing game with a Vampire theme played by people from across the globe. Players develop personalities for their characters through interaction with other players in various forums. Here stories are told, shared, role played, and expanded upon. Choose from five different races to role play, Vampire, Slayer, Werewolf, Witch and Angel then join a Coven or Sanctuary for companionship and protection. Fight other players in order to build your stats but beware because some battle are fought to the death resulting in the loss of your character.

More crews? Yes. Prove you can lead. Be fearless. How can you be a leader if you cower to the other leaders in the realm? You should be ready to fight for your crew and everyone in it, even to the DEATH. How can we recruit people if there is no reason for them to be in a crew? There is nothing to fear anymore. It used to be that you wanted to seek the protection of a crew because living alone on the streets was TERRIFYING. That's what brought so many of us TO this game. It kept things exciting. What is it now? We're RPing our vampires in bars drinking beer and making friends. Angels picking flowers in the streets with strangers. Werewolves twiddling their thumbs in the woods for fear of being too aggressive.

I am not saying that waves of violence is the answer. I feel like people are seeing things from one extreme or the other, and nothing in between. There absolutely IS an inbetween, and it involves everyone playing the game the same way. In my honest opinion it comes down to people not wanting to put the work in to their characters, and the rest of us not being able to play the game the way it was intended because of it. How is THAT fair?

This has turned in to a rant and that was not my intention. All I want is to be able to play the game the same way I could when I started playing, without worrying about whether or not I am going to get in trouble IN CHARACTER because someone's OUT OF CHARACTER feelings got hurt. If you're looking for family building, no-war-fairytale game playing, I might suggest IMVU or Tumblr.

September 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Adara Doe

^ simply beautiful.

I'm all for it going back. I was prepared to argue points but Jameson did so well, I don't have to.
September 14, 2018 05:17 pm

LillyEmperium

No offense, but crews were as I understood it social aspect with few benefits. Ive seen the good, bad and ugly of crews and leadership of crews. I did have few things I wanted to say. Harresment is wrong, unless by harassment you mean being told to train or else.

September 14, 2018 08:45 pm

Mackenzie

Lilly, what were the few things you wanted to say? :) September 14, 2018 09:29 pm

LillyEmperium

Ok hopefully this makes sense...

Most everyone currently in this thread, has been here for at least 10yrs I'm guessing. We each have a slight different take. No one is actually forcing anything.

Benefits, yes there are benefits of being in and out of crews. “I don't wanna die" why are you playing the game. That risk exists whether in a crew or not. However crews really are mini communities working towards a common goal. Need help, ask your crew.. Need protection, ask your crew.

“I'd rather do my thing, be stuck at 7 and rp with folks who ain't asshats “ ok....do you boo. However I've known level 4s that were asshats... Rank has nothing to do with personality Or writing abilities. Sht, my writing scks. But I'm working on it. After 10yrs, I can rank my char when I put my mind to it. But story lines... Meh work in progress

Back to crews. Traditionally they also offered bonuses of ranking faster as well as protection in home city. The community factor also opens up rp possibilities within the crew. I remember doing several rps while with AD.

As to bullying, personal agendas and harassment whether ic or Ooc. Those things happen in and out of crews. Take it to the higher ups so it can be handled. Some folks get butt hurt easily. Let them and move forward.

Yes even after everything, I still speak for crews. Knowledge in one place. People who may and can help. Having belonged to a few awesome covens will always make me partial to them.

Side note... Whatever happened to crew recruiters. They were the ones that truly helped round up the "homeless " of the realm.
September 15, 2018 02:27 am

Remi Rose

Crews. Whether you agree or not, they are a big part of the game. Without them war isn't an option. Without war? Death? What kind of vampire game would we have?

Bounties have turned into more of a punishment of crews rather than a threat to others. Last time I recall a bounty actually being effective and it not being a punishment from a crew leader to a former crew member was in 2016. As we are on the cusp of 2019, I find that to be sad.

They give us things and we don't even use them. They keep giving us new weapons and I'm sure with the hopes it is used instead of sold off for cash and bm.

What's up with the virals? I know at one time there were two active virals and then they both disappeared.

CL Edit: Edited per player request.
September 15, 2018 03:25 pm

Milena

I don't think BL would be still running like it is, if weren't by the Admins and the community.
Present an idea here, get feedback until things finally work.
Add this, remove another, give a boost here, Nerf that.
his is how things come out from the paper, it becomes real, not just something a person or more thought.
What makes people come here and stay? What makes them leave?
Did something like this happen at all? The famous “don't like it? Don't play”
Feedback is important!
As for going back to reaching a certain level in order to join a crew, how it will work? How the player will prove that there's some progress?
Do we need a menu saying:
In order to advance, you must meet the following requirements.

*Deal ? Damage.
*Sucessfully steal from ? Players.
*Commit crimes ? Times.
*Escape from Dungeon or break out ? Times

^This?

Is it about a surprise factor behind the races? [Source: New Leveling Guide, under Help Forum]. Do we need a specific training agenda for other races? Do we need a makeover about said stats for all races? 'Cause, it doesn't clarify enough, just pointing out: This race has more Offense, this other one is balanced. Why not a brief description?
Race “A” has initial N% bonus attack, less chance for steals, average defense, higher chance to escape or break out?

And, thanks Goodness there is Internet Wayback Machine for further reference!
Check the login page! Before and after, it had the mystery, whatever awaited for you behind that graphic and fields to be filled with account information, what would it be? An ally that just got killed in a war? A friend going to the Caverns, quitting the game or trying to meet an amount of CKs to rank up? Who’s online? How many notifications? How many Fresh Bloods?

People asked for a change for that too! Now we can see the Hottest Topics, Actives Bar, Fresh Bloods and Graveyard, how many players Voted, Profile of the Day.
What about the races? Things were better when it were 2v3?
The community wanted more!
3v3.
If one or two races had to go, which one you guys would choose?
The races did interfere in role play elements? Like, playing a Slayer 'cause it's available, but the background is taking an Angelic route, then someone pointed it out and then, finally, one more race to play?
And as for recruiting people for Covens and Sanctuaries, what method most of you used or changed? RP? Questionnaire? Putting a "seeking more members" notice? Had a mini list of requirements to be met?

If we do have to go back, to what point? Complete makeover or partial?
It's for us and also, from us.
September 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Mackenzie

Feedback is a beautiful thing, as are new ideas! It's why we have this amazing forum to provide our ideas and receive feedback.

So, everything is made by us. We form everything, from the stories to the politics. It is what makes this game so great - our admin do not dictate our gameplay.

All ideas are good ideas, but sometimes they just don't work. Think about BL ten years ago. There was tension, excitement, and you never know quite what you would log into. Now... it is the same old. Part of that is due to the changes made. Some of our collective ideas ended up hurting us more than helping us.

For example, the ability to rank beyond 7 outside of a crew, the ability to open a crew at rank 7 instead of 8. These two changes made it so that crews were unnecessary, effectively slashing the excitement considerably while also negating from the social aspect of the game.

As far as being told precisely what we need to do, that will never happen. The admin will never tell us exactly what we need to rank. We are lucky they even gave us a percentage to watch. However, the people here who step up to be Leaders do it for more than the extra political gameplay. They do it to help other people.

No one is talking about rolling it all the way back, however, I do believe it is time we acknowledge that there are some things that didn't help us in the long run.

Which is, essentially, what I am trying to do.
September 16, 2018 05:25 pm

Maeve

^likes to the n'th

(Secretly miss the time of rouge leaders) though it scared me sh*tless as well.
September 16, 2018 05:45 pm

Milena

Didn't mean to sound like someone was talking about going back, literally.  And, this is nice to know, that Admins managed to treat well the Community.
Why not add requirements to open a crew besides having funds for it? 

September 16, 2018 06:35 pm
1 | 2 | Next
Actives (11) Fresh Blood (0) View All The Fallen (1) Graveyard
Zaynah Mubarak, Maeve, Eden Kennedy, Beau Theroux, Crimson Belladonna, LillyEmperium, Fiona MacKay, Mallory Quarters, Gens Revenge, Huntress Wizard, R    Diabla_ 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page