Current Time: 03:10 pm EST

Death of a Character

Downloadable Entire Thread (For Excel, use Save As...) 1 | 2 | 3 | 10.. | Next | Last
  Creator Post Date

Michael Corvin

So you've been playing Bloodletting.org for days/months/years now and suddenly you "wake up" to the death screen. Some of you reading this already know the feeling, others will find out eventually. The first reaction of many people is "WTF?!" Fortunately, some of you have/will get over it quickly and move on, either with a reincarnated version of your dead character, or with an entirely new entity. To those of you who do the latter (new entity) that's probably the best thing you can do. After all, if your character is dead, there is an incredibly good possibility that there is a reason for it - even if you never hear it. Those of you who do the former (reincarnation) I have a warning for you. If you recreate your character, you have to deal with the same issues that likely caused your death in the first place.

The next most common reaction is to run around to everyone you know/knew and scream that it was all OOC. 99.9999999% of the time, in my experience, this is complete and utter BS. There is almost always an IC reason for someone to have done something - even if it's something as simple as "they were on the opposite side of the war." That excuse works, though personally I find it a little weak and would hope all of the creative minds we have here could come up with something a little more devious or eloquent as an excuse.

The last reaction I'd like to mention also goes hand-in-hand with the second. You see the death screen and throw your hands up, screaming that you quit. You make/login to an Alt and say your goodbyes, maybe post a parting shot at whomever killed you, then walk away from Bloodletting.org for ever/a couple months/a few years/a day. While this option is available to everyone, it's one that I hope few/no players take.

Now that we've got this little bit of explanation out of the way, I'd like to address a growing problem here on Bloodletting.org, and it has everything to do with the 2nd option above. Running around, telling everyone you can, that an attack was purely OOC, especially without official proof (communications via Bloodletting.org systems that we Elders can validate, is actually OOC harassment on YOUR part and will not be tolerated any longer.

While the Mortal Thoughts forum is for OOC communications, it is not a place for people to go and vent their frustration about a (perceived) OOC-only based killing, nor is it a place where others should contribute to a discussion based on that thought. Feel free to vent your frustration that your character is dead, that all of your hours/days/weeks/months/years of hard work have been crushed in an instant, but do NOT attack players for it.

Everyone on this site has to remember that this is a Game. Indeed, it is an RPG with a War element to it and that one day, sooner or later, the war will catch up with you. It's not a matter of If, it's a simple matter of When. And when it happens, you can either move on, or get the Elders irritable by making such claims.

If you are having a problem with another player from Bloodletting.org, you can come to one of us Elders about it, but your best bet will be to stay away from them as much as possible. Delete mails they send you, don't accept profile comments, and avoid forums where they frequent. If they start following you around, then you can deal with it in any number of ways. Everything from turning the other cheek and ignoring their posts, or leaving the thread entirely, to RPing out that you're being stalked by this person and taking them out with the systems that are in place (ie: bounty and war.) If they are harassing you via external means (messengers, non-Bloodletting.org email addresses, etc.) then you would be best served by utilizing the features of those programs/services to prevent contact by that person.

We will not dictate to all of you that when your character dies you must create a new character and try to start fresh, but we certainly have tried to encourage that within all of you. Just remember, if you die and come back as a new(er) version of the same character that just died, you'll still have to deal with all of the issues you had to deal with before.

That brings up another issue. When someone has caused problems in the past, and are killed off, AND they create a NEW character they most definitely should not be treated as their previous character, unless they act in the same manner.

Finally, I want to say this. Have respect for the person behind the keys of any character within this realm of ours. You can detest their character to the core of their being, but don't let those IC emotions cross over into your real, OOC, view of the person behind the character.
October 18, 2008 08:02 pm

Rhiannon Brianna

}{ She reads and signs the thread and nods }{ October 18, 2008 08:08 pm

Angel Blade

Angel Blade October 18, 2008 08:09 pm

Tawnya

Tawnya. October 18, 2008 08:09 pm

Berem Kross

Berem Kross October 18, 2008 08:09 pm

DominicMcConnell

signs Dominic McConnell October 18, 2008 08:10 pm

Varia Rayne

scratches her character name at the bottom. October 18, 2008 08:11 pm

jasmin

signs name : Jasmin Emperium October 18, 2008 08:11 pm

Sting

I agree completely. Hell I have seen the screen do to wars and so on and who cares. You will grow faster cause of what you have learned and you will make new friends in time. I am glad that i had the death a long time ago and now have great friends to share my times with. (ooc) last note after all we are here to have fun right so lets do it October 18, 2008 08:12 pm

Bastet Doe

Bastet Doe October 18, 2008 08:12 pm

Reagan Halleck

Reagan Halleck October 18, 2008 08:13 pm

Kelaina Bucklin

Kelaina Bucklin October 18, 2008 08:14 pm

Genoveva

*She reads. She picks up the pen and signs,* Genoveva. October 18, 2008 08:14 pm

zocern 1

ok I have read it

Signing
Zocern 1
October 18, 2008 08:15 pm

Kayleen Justicano

My question is this , not to start anything but in a true sense of the word. What if said person/character is just being an ass in what they are doing to your said person/character ?

No not everyone gets along and no not everyone rps the same way. But there are ways of dealing with the issue instead of just being a jerk about it. You still have nothing to do with them yet they kill you off , is that really fair ?

Someone can kill you off just cuz... that part just sucks is all.

Hope I am making sense as sometimes in my head it sounds better than it is read lol

Kerry
player behind Kayleen and Krystal

*Admin Edit by MC*
Nothing removed, I just wanted to reply and since we don't have a quote feature (yet) this is easiest for me to do so directly.

While it's unfair, it's pretty realistic. I mean, afterall, someone could come up and murder you, or any one of us, for no reason. Is it fair that that happens every day in real life and on here occasionally? No, it's not fair, but it is the nature of reality, and this game.
October 18, 2008 08:15 pm
1 | 2 | 3 | 10.. | Next | Last
Actives (29) Fresh Blood (0) View All The Fallen (4) Graveyard
Seraphina, Syrenity, -Gabriel-, Murhasta Kuolemaa, Mackenzie, Mona Marie, Lucia Mitzi Dragon, Ryuugo Mikoto, Taylor Ainsworth , Betty Cooper, Poe Dameron, Ofelia Salazar, Kevin Pearson, Abel Morales, Cameal Ham, Jack Pearson, Fall, Kate Pearson, Prince John, L A Doneoven, Cheryl Blossom, En Sabah Nur, Nick Clark, Orangesrlife, Beth Pearson, Black Cat, Randall Pearson, Llewyn Davis, Delouis Whamchest    Kenshin Himura
Dat Boi
Jughead Jones
Verlanis 
Home | Profile | Forums | F.A.Q. | Donate | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Created by Arctic Moon Studios. All rights reserved. © Bloodletting 2006-2016

Official Sites for Bloodletting
Blogger1 | Blogger2 | Twitter | FB Group | FB Fan Page